• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Could Someone Please Tell Me What This Means???

Konni

Lurker
Aug 20, 2020
I need someone to educate me about activity details when using YouTube...I notice the details read You Tube being accessed via the android app and then other particular YouTube visits are accessed via ‘YOUTUBE’ app...There is never a video title when accessed via android app and these are also never seen in the YouTube history...I am at a loss as to why they are different and am struggling to find out what videos are being watched via the android app....I have provided screen shots in the hope someone could explain the difference to me please? The phone has been used by my partner and myself though I have been reassured there is nothing sinister going on - I’m hoping this is the case and would appreciate any information that may help my confusion!
C62F2EBA-D4FA-4B17-804F-A2132ED188CE.jpeg
CE2FD43B-31D2-4126-9F9F-6CDF2E13CED0.jpeg

One obvious difference is that there are two different data sources there: the second screenshot uses your YouTube search history while the first uses the Web and App Activity history. So the second shows things you've searched for in YouTube, while the first shows when the YouTube app was used. It's not that surprising then that the second one shows specific details about what you were doing while the first doesn't.

If you open the app and search I'd expect there to be both types of activity logged, but if you open the app via a link I'd not expect there to be an entry in the search history. So this is one way in which you could see just the first type of entry, which doesn't tell you what was being viewed.

By the way, there is no "android app" on your phone, so what the first one is showing is simply that you were using YouTube on the Android operating system.

Also I am assuming that the activity log only shows when somebody is using the app, and not when the app wakes up briefly in the background to check something (which many apps do). But that is one other possibility. I'm basing this assumption of the fact that your usage is of commercial value to Google while background activity by the app isn't, so they'd only want to keep a record of your usage. I can't test this assumption by looking at my own activity history because I have all of that stuff turned off (I find it too intrusive).

Upvote 0
Thank you for explaining that to me, it finally makes a little sense now! May I ask this - as mentioned, if accessed via a link it would show as depicted in the first example, however these particular ones never show up in the YouTube history...If viewed via a link and even watched for a short time, shouldn’t they be included in the watched history for YouTube? Apologies if I am not very clear about what I am asking...

Reactions: ocnbrze and MrJavi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones