• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Couple of Backflip questions

jrstinkfish

Android Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2010
Hey guys. Just bought a Backflip to replace my mother's Samsung Eternity. I was hoping to get it all set up for her before I drive to see her next week down in Dallas, but it appears I need a SIM card to go any further than emergency calls. My guess is that this is due to having to set up Motoblur. Is there any way to set it up without one, get past the emergency call screen to set up a WiFi connection? I am with Sprint so I don't have an AT&T SIM to use.

I thought about going to an AT&T store to see if they have one to stick in there to at least get it started. But I suppose that is contingent on it being able to function without a SIM after the initial setup.

Any ideas?

BTW -- looks like a neat phone, she is going to love finally having a keyboard, and a huge one at that.

Not sure if this will work on the Backflip since they customized the setup screen for Blur, but you could try what is described in this video: YouTube - Android Quick Tip: How to bypass the "Touch the Android to Begin" setup

Basically you tap the four corners of the screen and it will skip the setup taking you to the home screen. I saw this video long after I had set up my device, so I have no idea if it will work, but it is worth a shot. Also, if that doesn't work try pressing the Menu button to see if there is any way to enable WiFi from the configuration screen.

As far as functioning without the sim, it should be able to do that without any problem.

Upvote 0
Thanks. It wouldn't even get that far, just stayed on the Emergency Dial screen. What I wound up doing was having my friend take the SIM from his iPhone and stick it in the Backflip. It then booted right to the Motoblur registration page. We set that up, set up the Wifi, and when the SIM card was removed, the phone booted normally.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones