• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

asianguy335

Aug 29, 2011
NOLA
So thus far i've been very very disappointed in the battery life and i think i've found out why, although the real reason is still a mystery to me. every other battery breakdown i've seen posted has typically shown the CPU as being the least culpable for drain, usually hovering around 3-4%

yet on my bionic i'm getting as high as 35%, which to put it in perspective is about 5 hours and 50 minutes of usage on a total 10 1/2 hour battery life where the display has consumed a paltry 4% and wifi was nearly entirely OFF. something clearly is wrong here.

here is the full report:

10 hrs 30 min on battery

Android OS: 35% 5 hrs 49 minutes

Cell Standby: 29% 10 hours 30 minutes, Time without signal 0%

Phone Idle: 25% 8 hrs 57 minutes

Display: 4% 1 hr 10 minutes

WiFi: 3% 56min

Voice Calls: 3% 4 minutes

Speed Test: 2% 41 seconds

And there you have it. Some things to note, yes i am rooted, yes i have removed a lot of verizon bloatware, i have a few basic widgets running, namely beautiful widgets home, photos, world clock, shazam, pandora, and power control. THAT'S IT.

battery mode: performance (not that it used much)
screen brightness: auto
tactile feeback: off

so what in the name of effed-up-robot-consciousness could be hogging so much cpu power?? for crissake, 5 hours??

after getting my bionic, i rooted it (one click method) and installed a subset of the same market apps i have been running on my Droid X for a year now. the only change i made to the phone was to freeze the updater using Titanium Backup Pro.

twice, i found the phone to be hot and completely unresponsive to pressing the power button (so i couldn't check CPU utilization, but i assume it was high since the phone was hot). after pulling the battery and rebooting, i noticed excessive battery drain.

i did a factory reset and installed only a handful of market apps (i did not re-root), just waiting to see if this problem recurs...

Upvote 0
About the CPU being stuck at 35% usage when doing nothing on the phone: It has to be an app you have installed or possibly(but unlikely) have something to do with a setting you changed. This isn't an attribute of the stock Bionic configuration or stock software or everyone would have the issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones