• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Crackling in speakers when you use the 3.5mm

Same thing here but I think I solved my problem. First, when you are listening to something, don't have the media volume to the max, take it down a couple of notches and use your car stereo volume to make up the difference. Next, I found that the crackling only happened when I used pandora, so to fix this... go to the pandora preferences and change the audio quality from normal to high. By doing these two things, I think I have eliminated the problem.

Turning down the volume two notches fixed mine completely. Thanks!

Upvote 0
40/09 build. Crackling/popping in left speaker only using 3.5mm cable in my Civic Si listening to bass-drum-intensive metalcore in Music or Pandora with volume at 100%. I tried using another cheaper cable and the left speaker didn't work at all. Generally, if I turn it down a skosh, the popping disappears. This work-around loses some bass so it's not ideal so I would love to see a fix.

Upvote 0
My problem was light crackling/popping in Pandora via left speaker in my 2009 Corolla. That was at 100% phone volume and in Pandora quality setting on the lower version.

Solution for me was to adjust phone volume to what looks like about 85% and turn Pandora quality to High.

Haven't had an issue yet.

Did you mean 100% Media Volume? When you have media open, and adjust the volume, it adjust the media volume, not the phone volume.

I freaked myself out today, 90% or so in the car on bluetooth......

Put the headphones on and started pandora at work and left my media volume at 90%...... I think my ears are still ringing, lol!!!!

Upvote 0
Did you mean 100% Media Volume? When you have media open, and adjust the volume, it adjust the media volume, not the phone volume.

I freaked myself out today, 90% or so in the car on bluetooth......

Put the headphones on and started pandora at work and left my media volume at 90%...... I think my ears are still ringing, lol!!!!

Yeah... I meant media volume. My media volume is around 80% now and works fine. But thats not through my headphones!

Upvote 0
Yeah... I meant media volume. My media volume is around 80% now and works fine. But thats not through my headphones!

Cause that would be really really loud in the headphones!

I did get some weird crackle today, and I've never had crackle. I was at my desk, droid left of me, headphones in. As I stood up, I got a some crazy crackling as I was moving to stand.

I tried to recreate it, and it never happened again.... maybe it was a static charge or something?

It got me thinking, so I tried to wiggle and giggle the headphone jack with phones plugged in, and I could not recreate it. But this is nothing like some people are saying within this thread. I guess I have a holy grail 39/09 :)

Upvote 0
I'm having this same issue, crackling in the left speaker/headphone, depending what I'm using. I hadn't noticed it was only in one ear until i read this forum but i can definitely tell now. I've used my nice bose headphones, home speaker system, car speaker system, and another pair or two of bad headphones. I've tried about 4 different media player apps from the market, it's the same for all of them. Songs like "Brompton Cocktail" by Avenged Sevenfold, starting at about 50 seconds into the song are horrible. Like most everyone else it's worst by far when the volume is at 100%, however there have been a couple songs (I can't remember at the moment which ones) where I can hear crackling at as low as 50% media volume. My droid is 41/09, and I the only other app that's usually running is the weather update service, but it still has the crackling problem even when I turn that off. At this point I'm thinking it's the jack itself, and will be getting a new one within the week.

Upvote 0
I had this same issue on the Droid I just returned to WalMart. 39/09 Build. Does it with Pandora and native media player. Tried my Klipsch Custom-2s, Sennheiser HD280s, Sennheiser HD380s and Ultrasone HFI450s and all had the issue. Only at max volume, and only at peaks, so I agree that it appears to be clipping. I will report on whether the replacement has the issue as well.

Upvote 0
You shouldn't have your media volume at 100%. Lower it to about 85% and turn up the volume on the headphones, etc. Try it out - should help you.

I should be able to have my volume at 100% with no clipping. The issue here is defective hardware or software. I have been in sound reinforcement and audio engineering for over 10 years, I understand about clipping, square waves and the like. I understand I can lower my volume 1 click and negate the issue. THAT IS NOT THE POINT. The point here is that there is something wrong with either the hardware or software that Motoroloa and/or the Android devs need to address. Sometimes the need arises to have the volume on the device at 100%, and when this happens, I would like it to work as it should. This does not need to turn into an argument about ones listening habits. IT IS NOT NORMAL for a device to clip 100% of the time when at full volume.

Upvote 0
I should be able to have my volume at 100% with no clipping. The issue here is defective hardware or software. I have been in sound reinforcement and audio engineering for over 10 years, I understand about clipping, square waves and the like. I understand I can lower my volume 1 click and negate the issue. THAT IS NOT THE POINT. The point here is that there is something wrong with either the hardware or software that Motoroloa and/or the Android devs need to address. Sometimes the need arises to have the volume on the device at 100%, and when this happens, I would like it to work as it should. This does not need to turn into an argument about ones listening habits. IT IS NOT NORMAL for a device to clip 100% of the time when at full volume.

+1 man. I totally agree with you. I want to listen to the device with volume on 100 because I feel that it is not loud enough. I don't even think its loud enough with my headphones on 100. Turning the volume down one notch below 100 is not a solution folks, it is a workaround and a poor one at that. If I bought a new car and it started rattling when I reached 70 miles per hour, I wouldn't expect the the dealer to tell me "well, only drive the car to 69, if you do that then it won't rattle."

Upvote 0
I understand your frustration, but don't be angry with someone's post. Can you tell me WHY you need to listen at 100%. What are you doing that requires it?

I know most people don't have headphones on with 100% volume, it's too damn loud. But maybe you do...

Yeah, maybe because he/we would like to have the option of it being loud enough without turning it all the way up to 100. To me, the sound is kind of weak, and i've tried two sets of headphones. Or maybe being that the Droid states that it is a "music player", all of my other music players that i've owned left enough headroom where i felt satisfied without putting it all the way up to the max volume. I do not get this feeling with the Droid. With it at 100 percent volume, it is just at the brink of being loud enough, but then again i can't enjoy that volume level because it clips.
Yeah, it may be loud enough for some people if you're just sitting in your home listening to it in a quiet room. But some of us are walking around with it in the streets or on the noisy metro etc. and the volume just doesn't cut it.

Upvote 0

Agreed x 11ty billion

Its frustrating that I cant have the volume at 100 but at 99 its perfect. Seems like an oversight that I hope is resolved soon. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones