• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Currents update - it's now disabled

jhsrennie

Android Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2012
If you have Google Currents installed you'll find there's an update for it. If you install this update it disables Currents and forces you to use Newsstand.

I realise I'm the only person in the world who likes Currents, but even so it's bloody annoying to have Google disable it without asking me first. If anyone who still has a working version of Currents could extract it as an APK (e.g. using ES File Explorer) and put the APK somewhere I can grab it I would be most grateful.

If you have Google Currents installed you'll find there's an update for it. If you install this update it disables Currents and forces you to use Newsstand.

I realise I'm the only person in the world who likes Currents, but even so it's bloody annoying to have Google disable it without asking me first. If anyone who still has a working version of Currents could extract it as an APK (e.g. using ES File Explorer) and put the APK somewhere I can grab it I would be most grateful.

Newsstand is better anyway.

Upvote 0
I actually preferred currents as well, but made the switch as soon as they were merged. I don't use newsstand for news because sites have some pretty ridiculous (IMO of course :) ) limits on their free to view articles.

At only 5 per month, I can easily open up an app like news and weather and find the same story for free. (For now anyway :p)

My only gripe with news and weather is I can't filter where results come from.

Upvote 0
I actually preferred currents as well, but made the switch as soon as they were merged. I don't use newsstand for news because sites have some pretty ridiculous (IMO of course :) ) limits on their free to view articles.

To be honest I mainly use Currents once a week to catch up on the Android Central, Engadget and CNet web Sites (I'd use it for the Phandroid site as well if they provided a feed :). It's my Saturday afternoon treat while everyone's out to get my Android fix.

I did try Newsstand as soon as it was released but it was a bit prone to crashing, and since I don't use it to read magazines Currents seemed simpler and quicker. It's not that I hate Newsstand, but if someone does have an APK for Currents 2.1.1 then I would prefer to use it as long as I can.

I did find an APK on the web, but since I don't use AV on my phone I'm a bit nervous about installing it. The APK is the right size, but who knows what free extras have been added!

Upvote 0
To be honest I mainly use Currents once a week to catch up on the Android Central, Engadget and CNet web Sites (I'd use it for the Phandroid site as well if they provided a feed :). It's my Saturday afternoon treat while everyone's out to get my Android fix.

I did try Newsstand as soon as it was released but it was a bit prone to crashing, and since I don't use it to read magazines Currents seemed simpler and quicker. It's not that I hate Newsstand, but if someone does have an APK for Currents 2.1.1 then I would prefer to use it as long as I can.

I did find an APK on the web, but since I don't use AV on my phone I'm a bit nervous about installing it. The APK is the right size, but who knows what free extras have been added!

I'll do some digging :)

Upvote 0
I also fell for the update after quite liking currents. Now when I try to load Newsstand it tells me it can't authenticate my account. But there is nowhere or no way of going anywhere to get it authenticated.

That's odd. Have you attempted to remove Currents then install Newsstand and clear cache (assuming you're rooted)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones