• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom Behold 2 Kernel.. ODIN Ready. 1.5

So for those of us who are illiterate with all of this tech talk, am I correct in this translation?

BH_MAN is working on a way to get the updated kernel out to everyone? Essentially getting the full update as delivered from Samsung/TMobile minus the bloatware?

correct, plus his new way gives us 100% "true" root. Also he is working on making the custom kernel, so that we may run galaxy 2.1!

Upvote 0
Great work BH_MAN!!

I'm staring at a kernel dump of UVJA3 right now. I'll get it uploaded within the hour.

FYI, the AMSS code also changed in the new version. I'll bundle that in as well.

Cool thanks...
It's not liking something for sure, and to be honest not sure I can Fix it.
But I'm Positive that it's the Header not Matching, which is hard to reproduce given I don't have the header from an Updated ODIN file for the kernel.

Upvote 0
Cool thanks...
But I'm Positive that it's the Header not Matching, which is hard to reproduce given I don't have the header from an Updated ODIN file for the kernel.

where would you have to get an Updated ODIN file from? Samsung is the only one who can make this?

Upvote 0
Cool thanks...

ODIN is not accepting the tar files?

There is no special Samsung header involved. The tar files have to be in usTar format. I've posted about this here: http://androidforums.com/samsung-be...ris-found-work-still-needed-2.html#post428189

Also.. it sounds like your custom kernel is a drop in replacement for the original. Does this mean you got RFS working?!

The kernel and AMSS dump files are here: http://www.2shared.com/file/12161860/ae26249c/uvja3-rawfiles.html

Reactions: BH_MAN
Upvote 0
ODIN is not accepting the tar files?

There is no special Samsung header involved. The tar files have to be in usTar format. I've posted about this here: http://androidforums.com/samsung-be...ris-found-work-still-needed-2.html#post428189

Also.. it sounds like your custom kernel is a drop in replacement for the original. Does this mean you got RFS working?!

The kernel and AMSS dump files are here: 2shared - download uvja3-rawfiles.zip

Yes it's Drop in, but I only Modified the Ramdisk. RFS is working fine :)
This could be the source of the trouble when trying to add the new Kernel to the Ramdisk. But, not sure as of now. Not had whole lot of time to play with it.

Upvote 0
Great work BH_MAN!!

I'm staring at a kernel dump of UVJA3 right now. I'll get it uploaded within the hour.

FYI, the AMSS code also changed in the new version. I'll bundle that in as well.

I had a Look at the AMSS, Um? I'm not going to even mess with this.. Though it would be nice to see what the changes was, I would only get one try.. If wrong, well, then I'll be looking at a bricked phone.

I'll leave this one to somebody better at Hex editing than me :)

Upvote 0
Okay, I got the Kernel Done that Enables shell as Root. Man, Samsung really really don't want use messing around with this stuff.. Just adding a Few command into the init.rc breaks everything.... Finally got it working though :)

With this Kernel you have Full Access via ADB only... Root for App's You must allow / Deny

If you want root for app on a stock rom, you'll need to push the SU file to /system/bin & chmod 04755. Like So.

adb push ( File location of su ) /system/bin
adb shell
chmod 04755 /system/bin/su
I'll be including root for apps like I always do in the Rom I make, just want to give a Heads up on this though..

*EDIT*
Revision 2 is Now Posted w/ the Shell Fix

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones