• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom Black HTC Dialer

EvoWalkman

Oct 2, 2010
So I found this thread [MOD] Custom Black HTC Dialer & Phone w/ability to set custom font (new colors added) - xda-developers about a black custom dialer. I've installed it correctly and changed the color. I'm running into a problem of changing the fonts and manually changing the background. In a post

"Nice work. Are you planing on any colors besides black?

I based it off black since this is my personal preference, but you can really make it any color you want very easily. Since I changed the fonts to white / gray, it really only works well on a darker color background.

So, to change the dialer background / button color, all you have to do is open up 2 files, in the '/res/drawable-hdpi/' folder of com.htc.resources.apk:

phone_keypad_background.png
htc_pin_asset_rest.png

And change them (color fill) from black to whatever color you prefer. I've attached both files for your reference. I can certainly do this for you if you want / and provide another MetaMorph, but that should get you going."

I've found these file but cannot figure out how to change them. I am using Astro file Manger. My question here is do I need a different file manager that has superuser permission? Can I gain access to these files using my computer? I am having the same problem changing the fonts and think this is due to this issue as well.

Ok, using root explorer allowed me to copy and past a new font in the /system/fonts/ folder but I cannot figure out how to change the background color myself in
/System/framework/com.htc.resources.apk/res/drawable-hdpi/phone_keypad_background.png. Am I somehow suppose to somehow place a color image here? Any Ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones