• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom Ringtones/Text Sounds?

im sure it plays fine on a feature phone but does not play nice with a smartphone.

This is correct. I have had people send my MMS messages with a picture and sound ... on my old feature phone I would open the message, see the picture, and hear the sound. On the Eris, I have to save the picture and the sound as seperate files ... so I dont get the same efect. AFAIK, there is no way to change this.

Upvote 0
Anyone else having issues with the Eris recognizing the folders you create?? I created a ringtone folder and a notifications folder but the I cannot find it when I try to set up a ringtone or notification. Any suggestions out there?? Thanks I am coming from a BB Curve to the Eris.

Not sure if it matters, but I have my folders under the folder media

On SD Card:

media
..alarms
..notifications
..ringtones

All subfolders are plural and all lowercase. Watch your spelling too

Upvote 0
If this would work would the ringtones, notifications etc show up with all the other ringtones or do you have to get them in another place?? I did do a shutdown and still nothing. I think I will delete the folders and try again. I will try the lower case, right now first letter caps.

Yes. If you get the files properly named and placed, whatever sound you import will show up in the factory installed list of sounds.

Upvote 0
Don't use the .. as I had in my post, I just used them to show the 3 were subfolders under the media folder. Sorry for any confusion.

To select custom ringtones, notifications, or alarms:

Under Settings / Sound & display / Phone ringtone
or Settings / Sound & display / Notification sound

To set a custom alarm, go into Clock / Alarms / Set Alarm / Alarm sound

I use MP3 files. I'm not sure if there is a size restriction, but you should make ringtones not longer than 30 seconds, and notifications as short as needed.

Upvote 0
I just noticed that apparently ringdroid has been sending all of the files I've made with it to a folder called audio inside of my media folder. Within the audio file, there are two more folders named notifications and ringtones. You may want to try setting it up that way and see if it gets you anywhere.

Mine are under media. I believe the main concern is the folder names "ringtones" and "notifications". They could probably be under and folder or even in the root directory. Android just looks for those folder anywhere in the folder tree ("alarms" too).

Upvote 0
Any chance you can post screenshots of your SD and folders etc. ?

Here's mine:

tree.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones