• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

customize specific system notifications?

Hello, basically I would really enjoy the ability to customize the sound for plugging my phone in, and a different one for unplugging. Even better if these could be "outside" the default notification sounds. I realize this sounds crazy, but my phone has a mario theme to it, and the plug in is "gain a mushroom" sound, and I would love it if it did the "loose a powerup" sound when I unplugged.

Outside the default notification sounds?

I have the app called Tasker loaded which is still in beta and not in the market which has an event setting for 'SMS Receive'. So, I setup a profile event for SMS Receive and left the Sender and Message fields blank which placed a '*' in each field. I guess that means you can setup different things for different contacts and message contents if you populate the fields with data. Anyway, I set the task for this profile to play a whistle sound and repeat it ten times using variables (like a script loop), and it does it! I simply removed the default alarm setting in the default SMS application so I don't hear both alarms, but now it plays the SMS alarm ten times vice just once.

Tasker is in beta, but available from the author at Dinglisch Forums - Latest Version (0.11b). I sideloaded it using ASTRO file manager. The author believes that it will probably be put in the market in April for $4 which is when the beta release currently expires.

As for plugging and unplugging, there are States in Tasker for those too which are; Power AC, or Power USB, or USB Plugged. So, you should be able to add them all to a single Profile and create the tasks you want to happen when the State change occurs.

Tasker does Application, Time, Day, Location, State, and Event profiles, and it has an impressive amount of various tasks it can be setup to perform in each profile. Check out the authors homepage at Tasker for Android.

Upvote 0
On the Profile listing, you have your Profiles on the left and Tasks on the right. Tap the Task side and a popup will come up asking what you want to do. Tap 'Add Exit Task' and then add the sound file you to play when exiting the Profile. I just tried it by creating a USB Power State with a Task to play one sound and an exit task to play another sound and it worked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones