• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Customized ROM...?'s

DeadDude

Android Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2014
So I've gotten a LOT of bloat out of my current stock ROM...

And I've started gathering original Huawei system apks... (updated Notepad, Huawei Cloud working, Huawei Music -not bad, etc)

And I've started moving some apks into system programs...
Want to move terminal to /system/

And gathering an assortment of sounds...

Anyone have suggestions on app choices?

I need GooglePlayStore.

Aside from that, suggestions?

Also, I'm going to attempt to modify (hack away at) some EmotionUI themes for our device and include them. Suggestions? Links?

My grand scheme is to make a pure Huawei experience ROM, and a ROM with the best replacements (battery efficient vs usability)

Any experience on making paid apps into system apps? I would like to make my own personal ROM with my paid apps, if possible.

I also would like to suggest using the Huawei Backup app, very handy to replace 90% of what is lost in a ROM flash.

How can I tell how much space /system/ has left for more apps?

Working on custom noti icons, too.

And systemizing various other stuff (any danger to filling /system/? )

Damn GoogleDrive keeps filling storage while trying to upload.... how you get around it?

For Google Play Store, you need to download the Google Apps package for Android 4.1.X. To make any app into a system app, just move it to the /system/app folder, however for a paid app, such as for example Holo Launcher Plus, make sure you get the authors permission. Failure to do that is a license violation and can get you in serious trouble. For the space available in /system, you can download an app called Partition Table from the Play Store, its free and doesn't require root. It will tell you how much space you have in /system, /data, /cache, and even your external storage. Plus it will give you partition numbers in advanced mode (needed for flashing script). As for Google Drive being full I have no idea what to tell you. I have been with Google for so long I recently got upgraded to 15GB of free storage.

Reactions: DeadDude
Upvote 0
Figured I should post an over due update.

I have become over whelmed with options.

Everyday I find something else that is awesome I want to include.

Right now, its floating windows and a battery bar.

I have shared one WIP so far, and was reported to have MD5 errors.

Since mine restore on mine, I've decided to ask you: What settings should I use in CWM for creating a backup for YOUR use? Elsewhere people request IMG format. How would I make that in CWM?

As I've said, I'm no programmer... lol

My 'ROM' is just a collection of tweaks and mods to stock. Anyone could gather the bits themselves.

Mine is different in that I already configured the whole damn thing.

Upvote 0
Examples of mods

Launcher included: ADW
Launcher Mods: Icons, Placements, Widgets, Notifications

Input Methods: Stock Google Keyboard w/themes, Google Voice Typing, Hackers Keyboard

Interface Mods: Battery Bar, XHaloFloatingWindows for specific apps, custom notification launcher area (widgetsoid)

Software Included:
Xposed Framework - responsible for 90% of the added functionality through modules.

Opera Browser, Android Browser, Notes, Pad - all customized with window controls (multitasking windows) and custom DPI (Xposed module- AppSettings)

CPU Clock bottom opened - CPU can drop to 196mhz on mine. NoFrillsCPUControl

I think this will be my base.

EDIT Now I see why so many paid apps are 2 parts, app and key. I can include an app, and leave it up to you to buy a key.... ;)

Upvote 0
Just a teaser pic to explain window controls... two windows open on my homescreen. Top is stock browser with DPI tweak, bottom is app named Pad with Transparency set through XHaloFloatingWindows.

It really is an awesome tweak, once you wrangle it into submission.

And combined with AppSettings DPI tweakage, this cheap phone gets sweet quick.

Attachments

• 1393430196475.jpg
    1393430196475.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0
Anyone know of a way to bypass new user screen on wiped valiant?

Some of my mods would be easier to add that way (unfortunately it also means no phone while building, and that is almost unacceptable)

in the build.prop change ro.setupwizard.mode=OPTIONAL to ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED

sry to hear about your hard drive:(

Reactions: Prepaidguy9081
Upvote 0
Does it work? I tried on mine and it didn't work.
no its meant to only run on first boot but what might be simpler if your not going to leave it disabled you can leave it on optional and a trick to bypass it is to just wait for it to appear and
(don't press on status bar)
touch top left of screen
touch top right of screen
touch bottom right of screen
touch bottom left of screen

Upvote 0
My custom ROM is on hold. I'm too stupid to figure out how to make it sharable and usable... can't be without my phone... long story.

So instead, I will freely share anything to help others.

Want to know how I set up that picture earlier? Just ask, I'll post my steps.

Need a file you bjorked? Ask, I'll up it for a week.

If you find a kick ass bootani or icon pack or lock screen or tweaks, share back here.

I'm almost always around... life sucks atm, but I'm here for y'all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones