• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
oops it backs up but no restore.

if its giving yo an md5 mismatch, most likely the backup is a bunch of empty files.

this would be a bug with the cwm.

if anyone has the time, im going to pull the boot and system and see if i can make a flashable img for odin.

find me on irc

freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)

Upvote 0
If you have ClockworkMod recovery / Rom manager working on your device, creating a full backup should be extremely easy.

i meant cwm backup/recovery option for this model. it's not implemented yet so boo :(

guess its back to pulling partitions :D

#after wiping /system, the bootloader was affected. here's some trial and error notes. (with less trial and error ) :D

#update, was playing around with adb and the dd command again.

dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 bs=4096
204800+0 records in
204800+0 records out
838860800 bytes (800.0MB) copied, 76.468659 seconds, 10.5MB/s

dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 bs=4096
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
8388608 bytes (8.0MB) copied, 1.421997 seconds, 5.6MB/s
# jsyk, dd if=INPUT FILE of=OUTPUT FILE bs=4096
#this was just a test of restoring my system.img/boot.img i made about a week ago.

#command to back it up below.

> adb shell
~ # dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/sdcard/bootmmc8.img bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/sdcard/bootmmc8.img bs=4096
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
8388608 bytes (8.0MB) copied, 0.318695 seconds, 25.1MB/s

~ # dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p15 of=/sdcard/recoverymmc15.img bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p15 of=/sdcard/recoverymmc15.img bs=4096
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
8388608 bytes (8.0MB) copied, 0.310883 seconds, 25.7MB/s

~ # dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/sdcard/systemmmc15.img bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/sdcard/systemmmc15.img bs=4096
204800+0 records in
204800+0 records out
838860800 bytes (800.0MB) copied, 136.860047 seconds, 5.8MB/s
~ #
# i renamed the files from the names i backed them up to my sdcard with and they still restored so the above command can be switched to just boot/system.img

###### IF YOU HAVE AN UNROOTED RUSH, PLEASE TEST THIS COMMAND OUT WITH ADB.

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p15 of=/sdcard/stockrecovery.img bs=4096

^^^ THIS MAY BE THE SOLUTION TO THE STOCK RECOVERY & FIXING OUR CURRENT WORKING CWM. COME ON HELP US OUT :)

#this is a method to fix bootloops.

after the restore, ive connected to wifi and my mobile network, everything is working as far as i know.

ive got a copy of the stock bootloader available upon request if anyone needs/wants it.

Upvote 0
rofl, i completely forgot that. mind me, lack of sleep, blah.

we need to figure out how to dump stock recovery without rooting.
i suggest everyone with a few minutes to spare dd's while theres no stock rom yet, personal experience it will benefit you if anything /does/ happen.

you check this out @Shabbypenguin ?
http://android.podtwo.com/romdump/romdump_v82b.zip

romdump is a (very) simple program that dumps the BOOT, RECOVERY and SYSTEM partitions to your SDCARD, this will allow someone who is technicaly minded to create a recovery image... and that is a GOOD thing...

adb push romdump /data/local/
adb shell chmod 04755 /data/local/romdump
adb shell /data/local/romdump

then wait for it to finish, it can take a while.

Once the program has finished you should find a directory in the root of your SD card called romdump and a sub-directory named after your device model. Take those files and give them to someone who knows how to make a recovery zip.

guess the best we can do now is a rooted [debloated] stock rom(?)

Upvote 0
Ok I am unrooted right now, need the phone for work so waiting for kinks to get worked out before i root. If I understand your post you need the rom dump from unrooted? I am willing to dump for you if it doesn't risk my phone. Let me know...

you can try running the romdump via adb without root. im not too sure if it requires root but it will not change ur current system and how it run, just copies and dumps.

let me know if it works.

Upvote 0
I will try it when i get home tonight...

thanks, we need mroe unrooted testers, theres a way to recover now so nothing is irreversible.

ive tried all the methods on the forum as a test dummy and i will test but the stock rom is what i dont have haha. i wish i pulled the fll stock rom beforehand though.

figuring out what was where was the pain haha

Upvote 0
Lol. Yeah i will stay unrooted for a bit so let me know whatbelse u need if anything.

building an os just for android deving on this device right now :)

so that i will do. the stock system is not crucial at this point sicne we have images to flash to restore the system, btu that doesnt mean we dont need an easy restore method.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones