1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root CWM Warning

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lucas.childers, Aug 12, 2011.

1. lucas.childers

lucas.childers Android Enthusiast
    None

May 7, 2011
    EDIT: Flashing CWM 5.0.2.0 tonight, via ROM Manager, you guys should try it, apparently everything is fixed.

If you guys are up for rooting please be warned that the latest Clockwork Mod (4.0.1.4 and 4.0.1.5) have been known to make your phone unchargeable if it dies (no fastboot). Over on XDA they give you their own CWM 4.0.1.4 which claims to work fine.

Although I have not let my battery fully die, I turned it off all the way and it did not charge. That right there is a deal breaker. The only reason I am sticking with it is because my dad has a stock Sensation, so I can take his battery to boot.

Edit: I tried charging while fully off and it seemed to work. When you flash CWM, reboot, then turn completely off (battery pull) if your LED isn't steady, (orange and green) or nothing at all, then make sure that you keep a charge! All of the sudden mine is steady, so I'm a bit less worried.

Please make sure you know what you are doing before you flash CWM because going back to stock is not a easy process.

Be safe!

The Forum

EDIT: Using ROM Manager, either paid or free, hit the top button to flash CWM, this will be the most updated one. Apparently its safe!

Clockwork Mod 4.0.1.4 Charging Fixed? Rename to "recovery.img" place in your SDCard's root folder, then boot into HBOOT (VolDown + power) if you did it right press VolUp to update. (test at your own risk) (direct download)

Please reply with results. Go to forum page step 2 to install.

Probably overkill but: 2 x 1900mAh Anker Batteries + Wallcharger. Amazon Link

You can probably find a just wall charger but, this way you also get 2 batteries. 30 bucks. Just wondering if its the quality of battery you should use?

Advertisement

jntdroid likes this.
  2. howetechnical

howetechnical Android Enthusiast
    None

Informational purposes.

$10 will get you a new battery and wall charger from Anker. That will get you going again.

lucas.childers likes this.
  3. jntdroid

jntdroid Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 18, 2010
    CFP
    This happened to me last night - thanks for the info. I had it off and plugged in for a few hours, then took it to bed and thought "hmm, that's odd... only 30% remaining?". Good to know...

Is there any way you could link to the good one or the post? There are a lot of threads/posts over there on all this...

4. lucas.childers

None

May 7, 2011
  5. lucas.childers

None

May 7, 2011
    Are you rooted? And was it fully off? No fastboot?

6. lucas.childers

None

May 7, 2011

Great to know. A wall charger would be perfect.

7. dwsmith

dwsmith Member
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Graduate Student Math
    Boca Raton, FL
    Version 4 of CWM doesn't have the recharge issue. I know, because I have used both. If you are on 5 and your phone dies, you can repeatedly take the battery out and put it in. You will see you get a about a second of charge each time. Do that until you can turn it on, then charge your phone. But the best bet is to use version 4.

8. dwsmith

dwsmith Member
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Graduate Student Math
    Boca Raton, FL
    CWM 5 doesn't charge when the phone is turned off either. Was your phone off? If so, that was the problem.

9. jntdroid

None

Aug 18, 2010
    CFP
    yes and yes - sorry for the delayed response... not much pc time this weekend!

10. lucas.childers

None

May 7, 2011
    4.0.1.4? Where the text is BLUE?

11. lucas.childers

None

May 7, 2011
    Post on XDA with this LINK is 4.0.1.4, if you start downloading it, it tells you. And just rename to 'recovery.img'. See my first post on how to actually use it. Hopefully that is the one that I have right now, just saw this post earlier and they says charging works. I have CWM 4.0.1.4, and if you guys do as well then we should be good.

12. mrg02d

mrg02d Lurker
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Electrical engineering intern/student
    tallahassee, fl
    Hey guys, I have found that both versions .4 and .5 charge my phone, BUT .4 wont light my charging LED AND it requires me to pull the battery in order to reboot. .5 charges, lights the LED, AND starts up normally.

My theory is that one OR the other will work right with your phone. There is no way to know without testing.

Here is how I tested:
    I had a partially charged battery and then pulled it to shut the phone down. I then plugged in the charger and waited 1 hour (after noting the initial charge). A reboot was done, and the current charge was checked to see if charging had occured.

If one of the versions is going to fail you, it will do so now(Just remove the version and try the other).

Might as well check while you have some battery life left. Once this is out of the way, you can move on to better things. ;-)

Matt

lucas.childers likes this.
  13. lucas.childers

None

May 7, 2011
    Thanks for the info! I just can't wait for the day that everything works fine with CWM! :D

14. jntdroid

None

Aug 18, 2010
    CFP
    are there issues with 4 vs 5? I didn't think the powered off charging would be an issue for me, so I've held onto 5... but twice now I've needed to charge it while powered off, so I'm wondering what shortcomings 4 has vs 5?

edit: 2nd, somewhat unrelated question... I guess we can't rename the backup folders - I tried that, to make my backup a little more descriptive, and got md5 errors upon trying to restore... doh!

15. ShermCraig

ShermCraig Lurker
    None

Oct 7, 2009
    South Florida
    Sorry folks, but I cannot find this "Anker" store/place. Can someone please direct me? Is this $10 battery OEM by chance? Thanks!

16. lucas.childers

None

May 7, 2011
    I just found it on Amazon, I can't get a link at the moment but go there.

ShermCraig likes this.
  17. hompsar

hompsar Newbie
    None

I had encountered the same problem with both my HTC Sensation 4G and my girlfriend MyTouch 4G Slide. CWM 5.0.1.0 still had problems but in the newest update, 5.0.2.0 (available from Rom Manager or just Googling and manually installing), there seems to be no more worries. Working fine for me. Gave immediate power on dead battery and has been working rock-steady since.

18. chong67

chong67 Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    Male
    IT
    Atlanta
    My wife got the Sensation and I have the 3D and I find the battery works fine on the Sensation.

I have rooted my 3D. I am going to root and unlock the Sensation this weekend. I hope it is a easys process as the 3D.

19. lucas.childers

None

May 7, 2011
    It isn't very hard to root. Good luck!