• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CyanogenMod 5.0.7 (Android 2.1) on post e911 magic

Too bad it's against their policy to distribute their apk ... cough cough ....

Won't help, you need to use their installer which will then register the app. Won't work otherwise.

If you check around over at XDA-Developers you can probably find a hacked version or two that'll work with your phone.

Upvote 0
Won't help, you need to use their installer which will then register the app. Won't work otherwise.

If you check around over at XDA-Developers you can probably find a hacked version or two that'll work with your phone.

Yep, if you are on the beta list (yay me) then you have it, or once they put it on the market then buy it, or use an alternative that is similar, or get one of the phones that come with it such as the Galaxy S. :) I hope you don't get a hacked version, bad karma...

Upvote 0
What's the best way to make sure you can revert back before running the script?

I was thinking along the lines of Universal Androot, then install ROM Manager, do the backup, unroot, and run the GBD Script. That pretty much it?

To revert back all you need to do is to apply the official RUU that you can get from Rogers off HTC websites

Upvote 0
I literally just got a new magic+ from rogers fresh out of the box brand new today...

my question is will it come with the E911 patch installed or will I have to install that before attempting to root my phone?

I previously had a dream in which I had to patch the phone myself but I bought that phone from a third party and not from rogers.

Upvote 0
I tried using your script GBD but the script would close or hang when it got to the point where it was waiting for the device, i had usb debugging on but I didnt get a prompt for any drivers so maybe I need to install them manually and then proceed?

I'm extremely ignorant when it comes to mobile phone stuff.

Upvote 0
I tried using your script GBD but the script would close or hang when it got to the point where it was waiting for the device, i had usb debugging on but I didnt get a prompt for any drivers so maybe I need to install them manually and then proceed?

I'm extremely ignorant when it comes to mobile phone stuff.

Use google to search for the ADB drivers for your PC's operating system. Please note, that my script was written for and tested on an XP Pro OS. Vista and Win7 UAC may cause problems with running it.

gbd

Upvote 0
For me, initially my Magic wouldn't properly connect with my PC and the .bat would hang up when it was waiting to see my device on USB. Tried a different USB port (shouldn't make a difference, but did) and it detected it but the command window immediately closed. I let it sit for 15 minutes thinking maybe this is what it's supposed to do...nothing. So I popped open the procedure.txt file and did it manually. Didn't take long at all to pound out commands...with the nice side effect of making me all nostalgic for DOS. :)

One question...the "Use JIT compiler" option is not checked in the performance section of the settings. How will this option affect my phone's performance if I turn it on?

Upvote 0
For me, initially my Magic wouldn't properly connect with my PC and the .bat would hang up when it was waiting to see my device on USB. Tried a different USB port (shouldn't make a difference, but did) and it detected it but the command window immediately closed. I let it sit for 15 minutes thinking maybe this is what it's supposed to do...nothing. So I popped open the procedure.txt file and did it manually. Didn't take long at all to pound out commands...with the nice side effect of making me all nostalgic for DOS. :)

One question...the "Use JIT compiler" option is not checked in the performance section of the settings. How will this option affect my phone's performance if I turn it on?

It will improve the performance on the Magic but because of the lack of RAM, the dream will probably suffer with it's use.

gbd

Upvote 0
Use google to search for the ADB drivers for your PC's operating system. Please note, that my script was written for and tested on an XP Pro OS. Vista and Win7 UAC may cause problems with running it.

gbd

ya I'm on windows 7 but luckily I have my pc dual booting with XP still so i've been using my XP partition for this just to be safe.

but the ADB drivers would be in the android SDK correct?

Upvote 0
ya I'm on windows 7 but luckily I have my pc dual booting with XP still so i've been using my XP partition for this just to be safe.

but the ADB drivers would be in the android SDK correct?

Yes, you should also be able to use google to find them separate from the SDK.

gbd

Reactions: elyk
Upvote 0
Anybody who has downloaded my script since I updated it for CM6 will have a problem running the script. It will go so far and then just exit. I have a line "goto:end" in the script from when I was doing some testing.

I'll be uploading a replacment zip file tonight but in the meantime you can just replace the rootme.bat file with this one

gbd

Reactions: elyk
Upvote 0
downloaded drivers script worked fine it seemed, pushed the files onto my magic but when it asks to turn bluetooth on and off then unplug and replug the phone, i did that then it starts started exploid script
completed exploid script
and then nothing happens after that

should i start in the procedure.txt from step 9 or go from step 1 at this point?

Upvote 0
Hi all,

My console froze when I was attempting to write the new radio. I am wondering is it safe to download the old RUU from Rogers (on the HTC website) and try to revert back to my old SPL and radio? If I do this, will my recovery be reset back to the default recovery image? Here's the current fastboot info:
SAPPHIRE UNKNOWN 32A ENG S-OFF H
HBOOT-1.33.2005 (SAPP50000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-6.35.10.18
Apr 20 2009,15:30:43

Thanks,
Mark

Upvote 0
Nevermind, I got it working :) :)

The problem was that for some strange the reason the radio transferred but did not write to the phone. I thought maybe this was normal was I continued to the next step to update to the 1.33.2010 SPL. All subsequent attempts to write the radio failed miserably. But once I changed back to the 1.76.2007 SPL I was able to successfully update the radio, then switch back follow all of the next steps.

And FROYO is SIIIIIICK. If anyone is still considering doing this, I know it's scary but just go for it, you won't regret it!!!

Upvote 0
I've been running CM6 for a while now. I've been interested in trying some of the nightly builds though. Now that I'm already running CM6 with the Amon RA recovery, can I use ROM Manager to install the Clockwork recovery, and just use ROM Manager to swap CM versions? Or should I keep the Amon RA recovery, and manually push/flash the nightly build?

Another question, switching between the nightly builds, do I have to download all my apps from the market again, or do they stay on the phone/download automatically?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones