• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LG Volt: All Things Root Guide (Newbies Read First!) 16.03.11

bg4m3r

Android Expert
Nov 1, 2013
*** Important Note ***

Since this is a new root guide for your all-things-root sub-forum, we need your help to populate it and keep it organized with the best and most relevant information. Please contact (by PM) your favorite Guide, or drop us a note in the private chat section if you have any good information to contribute, update, or correct in the root guide. Alternatively, hit the !Report button and ask a Mod to bring it to our attention.

Thanks for your help!

-------------------------------------------------------

LG Volt: All Things Root Guide

Quick note / disclaimer: as always, you are ultimately responsible for any root-related activities on your phone.
You should understand not only the benefits of rooting, but also any possible consequences (voided warranty, boot-loops, bricking, etc.) that might occur as a result of your root-related actions.

AndroidForums.com / Phandroid.com, its owner, and staff are not liable for any root actions you might undertake as a result of information used from this site.

Reading, researching, understanding, and carefully following the published steps and instructions can go a long way towards helping to make your rooting efforts a successful one.

When you are installing any ROM, Kernel, Radio, or modification, VERIFY that it is compatible with your specific brand/model(and if applicable) carrier branded version of the device you are flashing. If you are not sure, ask for assistance. Everything listed in this forum is specifically for the LG Volt. This does NOT include the Volt 2.

General Information
Rooting methods (click 'spoiler' to see):
CURRENT METHODS
LG Unified Drivers (for methods 2 & 3)

1- Towelroot - zv3 ONLY (on phone method)
2- DP Tools - best choice, all versions (including zv6) (computer required)
3- LG One Click Root - all versions (including zv6) (computer required)
4- KingRoot - all versions (including zv6) (on phone method)

Video for DP Tools/One Click Root
You may end up looking like this...this is normal, just unplug and reboot (hold power).

Guides
ROMs

Stock ROMs
Xperia/Stock variant
Stock zv6 based ROM largely debloated and themed.
Includes extra features like Dual Window and Swipe Aside.
Has an option that includes the elements from Xperia phones.

zv6 Stock ROM
Prerooted stock zv6 ROM with some gapps updates.

Textnow Stock ROM

KitKat 4.4.4 ROMs
Ehndroix 4.4.4

Saber PAC ROM

Moto E crDroid

Gummy ROM

Remix ROMs
Remix of all of the below ROMs implementing several fixes. See thread for details.

AOPK 4.4.4
Port of AOKP with double-tap to wake and CM12.1 kernel.

CarbonRom
Port of CarbonRom with double-tap to wake and CM12.1 kernel.

CyanogenMod 11 Stable
Port of CyanogenMod 11 with double-tap to wake and CM12.1 kernel.

OmniRom Beta 2
Port of OmniRom with CM12.1 kernel.

PacRom
Port of PacRom with double-tap to wake and CM12.1 kernel.

SlimKat
Port of SlimKat with double-tap to wake and CM12.1 kernel.

Lollipop ROMs
BlissPop 4.0.1
Newly compiled BlissPop Unofficial for Lg Volt

Candy 5
Port of Candy Lollipop ROM

CyanogenMod 12.1
Newly compiled CM12 Unofficial Beta for Lg Volt

Dirty Unicorns
WIP port of Dirty Unicorns. Probably not advisable for daily use.

SlimLP
This is SlimLP for LG Volt

Kernels

Volt Uno
First custom kernel for stock. It does not provide OC, but offers additional governors, zram, swap, and KSM (kernel samepage merging). The original dev has moved on, but others have taken up the reins. Below you will find links to the thread, the point where new versions came up, and a direct link to the current version.
New Versions (post #254)
Current Version
To enable zram in the current version, you need to enable init.d (see MODs section) and add this script to the init.d folder.

Volt Dos
Second custom kernel for stock, branched off from the Volt Uno development.

MODs

Font MOD
Lots of extra cool fonts for your phone!

Multi Function Performance MOD
Force GPU rendering, data optimization, entropy seeder, and more

Adreno GPU MOD
Force GPU rendering

Swap Enable Script
Enable Swap; be sure to add the delay when it asks

Enable init.d
Enable init.d; Needed for many root operations.

Slide Aside
Slide Aside feature from LG flagship phones.

Boot Animations

http://androidforums.com/threads/some-cool-boot-animations.964704/
http://androidforums.com/threads/boot-shutdown-animations.882945/

Themes

[HOW TO] Easy Theming
Theming tutorial
Ultimate Online Theming Kitchen

Overclocking / Underclocking / Undervolting

These features have, so far, been unavailable

Last edited:
OK, I have finally gotten this mostly updated. I pulled info from some of my other guides and integrated it into this one and re-purposed the other guides to cover a single topic (eg my rooting guide is now a brick recovery guide and rooting methods are listed here). I put a lot of it in spoiler tags to keep the length down.

Still needs some of the newest ROMs to have surfaced added. If there's anything you want to see listed in here, post a link and I will add it in as I have the chance too. Or, if there's anything I have listed that's a dead project, let me know so I can remove it.

Thanks for being patient until I got the time to sit down and do this. I'm usually on my phone when I'm on here, and that's not really an ideal scenario for heavy post editing, lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for taking this over and keeping it updated.
You can add the GPU mod and bootloop fix commands (the zip I made still has the assert listed to the tribute, but the command-line works perfect for the volt). I can't get links right now, but they should be listed on my profile resources.
The Adreno mod is already included in the performance mod that's listed. I'll try to find the idler mod and that bootloop fix, but if you can get a link up first that'd be great.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones