• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help D2G--Calls routed to speaker at low volume

This has happened about half a dozen times since I got the phone. On the first call of the day I notice that the volume is terribly low, even if I frantically mash the volume up button as many times as I can.

Calming down and taking stock of the situation I find that the call is actually coming out the speaker (on the back of the phone) and not through the earpiece. The "speaker" button is NOT lit. Toggling the speaker button doesn't help at all, the sound continues to come out the speaker and at a very low volume. The person I'm talking to says they can hear me normally.

In the past I powered off and powered on and this fixed the problem. Today it didn't and I had to pull the battery. State of charge seems not to be an issue, I've had it happen at full charge and (today) about half charge.

I don't have any apps that have anything to do with the speakerphone.

Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions?

Reactions: oldiron
I have this same problem exactly as you described it. I just got the unit replaced this week and the new unit has already started doing it. And this time I had not even downloaded any apps (VZW told me it was likely caused by an incompatible app I must have downloaded). Both phones have been Droid 2 Global. Any help from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Lara, could you please tell me how exactly you went about creating the profile to max the volume? Also, did the solution work?
I think you addressed this to me, and I missed a timely response because I was negligent in watching my messages. If so, sorry, and here's how I did it:

• Create a profile (I named mine "On Call Volume.")
  • The profile should have an Event/Phone of "phone offhook"
  • The profile should also have a State "headset plugged" and when you select this, check the "invert" box. This means that the state will be "if the headset is NOT plugged in." I need this because maxing out the volume on the headset will make my ear bleed!
  • Create a task (I named mine "Set Volume Up")
  • In the task you only need one step. Audio/In-Call Volume. Set it to the value you like, 7 is the maximum.
  • In the profile, have it use the task you just created as its entry task.
Now, anytime you go off hook and aren't using the headset, the call volume will be turned up to whatever you set it to.

You could make this a little more elegant by setting a variable to the current volume before you change it and then having an exit task that will set the volume back to that variable. On reflection that doesn't make a lot of sense though, because you're always setting it to maximum, so why do you care what it was before this? :) It's pretty straightforward and works for me.

Now as to whether it prevents the error I had where the call was routed to the speaker at low volume, I can't definitely say as I added Tasker and removed Timeriffic at the same time. I have not, though, had the problem since I did this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones