• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dan says .. WIMAX is for sprint (NOT?)

I hope phoenix gets some 4G coverage soon. It's hard to believe a city this populated has nothing but a few "place holder" antennas lit up.
Not to sound redundant but it really is shocking that Phoenix (The 5th/6th largest city in the nation) has basically NO WiMax coverage to speak of. From where I live in Peoria (a suburb) I would have to drive over an hour to visit the one tiny small spot of 4G coverage that's been placed in an affluent area of town. I just don't know how Sprint justifies this and I know Phoenix isn't the only one in this position, but it may be the worst example of it in the nation.

The thing that makes me the most upset is that this has been all over the Sprint Community Forums for over a year now and Sprint has not commented on it at all. Poor 4G coverage is one thing, but ignoring your customers who are paying a $10 premium for their smart-phone 4G data-packages is unacceptable. I love Sprint, but they need to support WiMax 4G in Phoenix Arizona like they appreciate our business.

Upvote 0
After hours of trolling the internet, reading differently worded articles from many sites, it seems that Sprint will keep and maintain existing WiMax networks, but not build anymore. That means if you don't currently have 4G, don't be expecting it to show up unless you buy a new LTE phone in 2012.

Im not trying to correct any one, this is just how I take it.
If anyone has proof to show me that Sprint IS going to expand the current WiMax, please correct me. I live in phoenix and there only 4 towers here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones