• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data connection disconnecting

Hello,

2.3.4 Nexus S on AT&T here (Northeast, USA).

As of recent, my data connection appears to disconnect constantly regardless of whether I'm using the phone or its locked in my pocket. The 3G or WIFI connection icon will turn white (instead of green) and all my stuff like google talk, etc will go offline. The only recent updates were probably some app updates, which I uninstalled - but no change. I'm not rooted.

Anyone having similar issues or have any suggestions?

Hello from a newcomer to the androidforums, I have found this forum thread on Google as I too have the same problem, but with my Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. I also live in the Northeast US and have AT&T. The 3G icon would turn white randomly and it seems it happens every minute. I tried putting my SIM card into my HTC Aria phone and it had the same issue not just with Google apps, but all apps that require a constant connection. I blame AT&T for this problem.

Upvote 0
Just an update:

The problem seems to be sporadic. The day I posted this, I was constantly having problems, yet today I've had no disconnects. Based on that link I sent above, it sounds like the issue might be with the endpoint on google's side that is required to turn the data icons green. I also say this because during these times when the icons are white, some of my apps can still receive data, therefore leading me to believe its not AT&T. Then again, without intimate knowledge of the software and network I can't really say for sure.

Upvote 0
I have similar issues with my UK NS (2.3.4) but not quite the same. My issue seems to be that I can step automatically from 3G to Wifi seamlessly but when I step away and back onto 3G it simply does not connect the data (at all, no icon). Switching off Wifi makes no difference, my only semi-reliable method for getting 3G back is to go to Airplane mode and back off, typically re-connects to 3G 10 seconds or so later.

Bit of a pain, used to be fine.

Upvote 0
I am facing the same issue. I have tried many apps and tricks but nothing worked.
Finally I settled for an app called Connection Stabilizer Booster to reduce the problem. It does not completely solve the problem by helps to a great extent by automating the reconnection. Here is the link in case anyone wants to try: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.connectionstabilizerbooster

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones