• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

uchi

Jun 14, 2010
is anyone elses x10 using up alot of data? like a really huge amount of it. i chewed through nearly 1 gig of data last month, imsure that there was atleast one full week accumulated where the phone didnt work, plus 7 hours a night i sleep, i work for 8 hours a day and shoot a text here and there, and when at home use mostly my laptop, so im wondering if theres something going on i should know about. i use juice defender and it shuts down my 3g and what not when the phone is locked. yet i somehow managed to go through almost a gig, and its been getting progressively worse, first month i had it i used about 300 megs, second month was about 600 and now just under a gig. anyone else dealing with this? i know my usage hasnt increased, if anything its decreased because of increased laptop usage and im using my wifi more often than i used to.

ummmm,,, I have had the issue,,, one time through the night while i was sleeping, with wifi on used almost 8gigs of data,, rogers didnt charge me and we did a bunch of stuff the phone, resets ect,, so they sent me a new phone,, now the battery on this one is crap,, and both sets would hang up when i was receiving a text message

Upvote 0
Hi Uchi,

I just bought an HTC Incredible S for my wife, and we're having the same problem. At 3am one morning it downloaded 414MB worth of data!?! In two weeks we have used 1300MB. We used to have an iPhone and it never did this. Even with computer tethering it would use at most 700MB a month. So we're a bit concerned... as our provider charges $0.35 per MB over the plan.

As far as I can tell Androids widgets download continuously in the background, unless you stop them. Some, like news and stocks won't let you cancel updates (which is annoying as I dont use either!).

I only just got the phone so I'm not sure if this is a fix to the problem so if someone can confirm or deny that would be great.

Cheers,

Wolski

Upvote 0
Hi Uchi,

I just bought an HTC Incredible S for my wife, and we're having the same problem. At 3am one morning it downloaded 414MB worth of data!?! In two weeks we have used 1300MB. We used to have an iPhone and it never did this. Even with computer tethering it would use at most 700MB a month. So we're a bit concerned... as our provider charges $0.35 per MB over the plan.

As far as I can tell Androids widgets download continuously in the background, unless you stop them. Some, like news and stocks won't let you cancel updates (which is annoying as I dont use either!).

I only just got the phone so I'm not sure if this is a fix to the problem so if someone can confirm or deny that would be great.

Cheers,

Wolski

Install Task Manager and take a look at what apps are running in the background.

Remove any apps you don't use.

I can't confirm or deny what you are saying. Over 20 megs sounds huge to me. But it depends what apps you have loaded.

Do you have some weird photo downloading app where it downloads wallpapers or something and update them every 5 minutes?

When it downloads emails, it doesn't get attachments so, I don't know what apps you have.

Maybe check in the HTC section or take your phone to a store and talk to a technician who knows how to use an Android.

Most apps download very little, and most people don't have any type of auto update for Market apps. You have to click to update them. And never use your data plan to download any updates. Always wait till you connect to WiFi so that you aren't wasting bandwidth for app updates.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones