• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data ONLY through wifi

Volland

Apr 18, 2018
Hello
I am using redmi 9T with Android 10 installed.
I have set it to "Data on using wifi" as I have sim card with a contract, that is only for voice, and data extra costs a fortune. Still, I have now received a bill for data download and the user was Android systems...

How can I stop this completely. I assume it was an update, only about 600kb, but I do not even know if android downloaded something to my phone, or, if the phone, on its own, sent data to Android----

I have just checked my updates, and it seems on the day in question something called "Wallpaper Carousel" was updated !!! How do stop that this done via simcard??? The setting for Automatic Updates is clearly set to using wifi..

Can someone help me get change settings so that NOTHING uses the simcard for down- or uploads?

Thank you

Last edited:
I got that Wallpaper Carousel on my two Xiaomi phones, though it asked before it downloaded; (and I struggled to find the new setting to turn it off and keep my regular screens).

For things like the Carousel, which is a new additional feature in Wallpapers or Themes?, there is a setting in System Apps Updater (Mi apps) - gear wheel - Auto Updates - Don't Update / WiFi only / Data too etc.

That's only a small issue for you, I know.

I think, from old forums, that there is very little you can do in regular settings to eliminate the phone using any cell data entirely, and that's an unusual plan you have, but I hope to be corrected.

@puppykickr is more knowledgeable.

I looked in Developer Options and couldn't find anything there

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I cannot believe that I totally forgot this one little thing-

you can call your carrier and have them disable internet on your plan!

I seem to remember years ago having a similar issue, and because I was not online anyway- in anyway at all- I did not care and told them to cut off all internet access for my device.

It worked, there was never any more charges for data.

This would only affect cellular data, because your carrier is not involved with data over Wi-Fi.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
I cannot believe that I totally forgot this one little thing-

you can call your carrier and have them disable internet on your plan!

I seem to remember years ago having a similar issue, and because I was not online anyway- in anyway at all- I did not care and told them to cut off all internet access for my device.

It worked, there was never any more charges for data.

This would only affect cellular data, because your carrier is not involved with data over Wi-Fi.

I am afraid in a "third-world-country" like Japan that is nor possible.
In Japan people exist for the state and for corporations, and not the other way around... :rolleyes:

(Also, my japanese would not be good enough to explain to them what I want, and the I only would find out that they are not interested in what I want)

Upvote 0
Go into Settings and turn off Mobile Data, that will ensure the phone and any apps can only use WiFi for internet access.

You are really funny..... :D
I got that Wallpaper Carousel on my two Xiaomi phones, though it asked before it downloaded; (and I struggled to find the new setting to turn it off and keep my regular screens).

For things like the Carousel, which is a new additional feature in Wallpapers or Themes?, there is a setting in System Apps Updater (Mi apps) - gear wheel - Auto Updates - Don't Update / WiFi only / Data too etc.

I think, from old forums, that there is very little you can do in regular settings to eliminate the phone using any cell data entirely, and that's an unusual plan you have, but I hope to be corrected.

The first insult was, that this was about something preposterous like Wallpaper Carousel, which I am sure, millions of users have been waiting for all their lifes. On the other hand it is of course possible that many users would not have life at all without such wonderful updated presents...
The next thing was that they installed it on THEIR product, which had clearly been set to not use Mobile Data for ANYTHING!

As I am neither a friend of mobile phones nor of that absurd OS called Android, which consists of a tiny part that allows you to use a mobile phone and 350 bloatware apps for the mentally handicapped... I use exactly 4 (four) apps, none of which came with Android....
So, I have returned to my old ASUS phone which runs on Android 5... and which has never messed with me.... Other than have a too small battery.
(My Xiaomi is for sale already)

Thank you for trying...

From The New Yorker.png

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Pleae don't feed the troll.
Sure... anyone who has another opinion than you, is wrong per definition, right?

You did notice that your comment above: "Go into Settings and turn off Mobile Data, that will ensure the phone and any apps can only use WiFi for internet access." shows that you do not even read, (or cannot even read) what other have actually written???

Upvote 0
First, to solve the issue, use a firewall to block apps from using mobile data.

(simple)
https://noroot-firewall.en.uptodown.com/android

(advanced)
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/eu.faircode.netguard/

Second, turn off all auto update type services.

Not only will that prevent unwanted updates, but also prevent what just happened.

I am sorry was away for while... Thank You. That is a great app, seems to work as well as it looks.
As I can block all apps with that... are there any that I should never block from network, other than phone and contacts?

Upvote 0

Sorry for being so late....: Thank you!

Upvote 0
Never block Android System Webview.
That is the app that allows other apps to show web content.

There are others, but you cannot 'break' your device permanently with NoRoot Firewall.

Yes, trial and error is tedious, but your device and your use of it will be different than mine.
I have multiple devices, and they are all set up different from one another and used for various things.

But, NoRoot Firewall does a good job of joining apps that rely upon one another.
This makes it much quicker to fiqure out what can/cannot be blocked.

Upvote 0
Oh, sorry.
You meant network access.
My poor vision skipped that part.

I will have to post again, with my other device.

This device in my hand is my Wi-Fi only device, so no carrier whatsoever.

Literally everything is blocked for network access.

Later, I will use my other device, which functions as a phone and has the information you need.

Upvote 0
Thank you, puppykickr...

no root is quite perfect for me... if it does what it says when it comes down it. You see, I also expected Android 11 not to ignore my settings of Downloads over wifi only. Yes, it took a while to click every app (three times), but it eems to have been worth it and I had webview turned on for wifi.
I allowed only contacts and phone, everything else is red. I only rarely make phonecalls, so I have a strange simcard for phone only, which costs almost nothing, as long you do not make mistakes. And I need to be reached at all times....
I have disabled everything Google completely and it also seems to work against Playstore, which alsways used to tell me this or that will no longer work, which was not true.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones