• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data roaming warning since Jelly Bean update - 3 UK

John P

Aug 19, 2012
UK - South West
I updated my s3 to Jelly Bean last week, and on random occasions I have received an exclamation mark inside a triangle notification on the notification bar, when I bring down the notification panel it warns me about data roaming. When I press the notification it takes me to the mobile networks menu.

I do have data roaming disabled, so this warning seems strange. Its only started happening since the update (which may be just a coincidence) I wondered if anybody else has experienced similar and any ideas what could be causing it? My S3 is not rooted.

I updated my s3 to Jelly Bean last week, and on random occasions I have received an exclamation mark inside a triangle notification on the notification bar, when I bring down the notification panel it warns me about data roaming. When I press the notification it takes me to the mobile networks menu.

I do have data roaming disabled, so this warning seems strange. Its only started happening since the update (which may be just a coincidence) I wondered if anybody else has experienced similar and any ideas what could be causing it? My S3 is not rooted.
maybe try enabling and re disabling it so it definitely pulls across the correct option since you haven't done that since the update?

Reactions: John P
Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies. I have now turned data off and on, and enabled and re disabled roaming, so shall see if that fixes it.

Ok further to doing the above it is still giving me that same warning, are there any other possibilities for what could be causing it, or should I contact 3 for help? I am presuming that 3 hopefully won't be billing me for roaming charges?

Upvote 0
What I said doesn't permanently fix it. Just at the time. As far as I can tell we're not actually connecting to another network (3 don't have an agreement in place with any other networks) so nothing to be charged

Ah I see, sorry I misinterpreted what you said. Thanks for your help :)

My phone is not rooted or anything, but I am also now having bluetooth audio media problems in my car (Ford Mondeo), where I can not listen to music via bluetooth since the update. Ford haven't yet issued an update for JB.
Is it possible without too much hassle or risk to temporarily role back to ICS, without rooting or voiding my warranty?

Upvote 0
I updated my s3 and immediately started getting this warning. Disabling roaming didn't help but since disabling the lock screen dual clock (roaming clock) it hasn't happened. I assume the roaming clock checks the status of roaming even if if disabled hence the warnings.

Worked for me... Cheers all.

Upvote 0
Have you checked Settings -> Data usage? You'll need to enable Mobile data, but then you'll be able to set your mobile data limits. This allows you to define the size of your monthly data allowance as well as the date of each month that your data allowance gets renewed. Additionally, you can set a warning level so that, as soon as you've used that much data in a month, a warning will be given. Obviously I'm wondering whether this is the cause of the issues you've been having.

Upvote 0
I get this, normally just after the signal has gone really low so I can only assume its hopping onto the backup orange network and giving the roaming warning. It goes if I get a good signal back. Annoying but I don't think its an issue, in fact its almost useful to know where 3 coverage still lacks and they've still got the backup service switched on!

I don't use the dual clock thingy

Upvote 0

When I first got an HTC Hero a few years back from 3, there was a wee leaflet saying this would happen, they were working on it but not to worry about it. It's happened on/off for the past few years on the Hero, Desire HD and now my OneX. I've never been charged any roaming fees so I never have worried about it.

Upvote 0
I am on an unlimited data plan and I do not have any data limits set on my phone or the dual clock.

I was more concerned about actual roaming costs, but I have checked my bill and there is nothing extra on there so that's fine.

I guess its just a harmless but annoying JB issue that we will have to put up with until either they fix it or await the next version.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones