• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data source for updates

Hi all

SG S4 on EE in UK. I know there's a software update for my phone that I'd like to download and install. Unfortunately, it's 400+ Mb and my phone keeps telling me to download it over wifi, and not allowing me to download over the mobile network, which I'd prefer for speed.

Home BB connection is 1Mbps due to isolated rural area, and will take over 4 hours on wifi. Connection on 3G/H+ will be only a few mins.

Messages I get are "Check for software updates and download new updates? Downloading via mobile networks may incur additional charges. If possible, download via WiFi network. You will be able to use your device during download" Options: Cancel, WiFi settings (i.e. on or off) or OK

Hitting OK gives me a message "Connecting to server..>" followed rapidly by "Unable to download file via mobile networks. Update file size is over 50MB. Connect to wifi to download" Options: Cancel or Wi-Fi settings.

Any ideas how I might force it to download over mobile networks, please?

Many thanks

All i can suggest is go to sam mobile
Firmwares | SamMobile
Register & search in firmwares for your model GT-I9505
There is an EE rom on there 4.4.2 if yours is the branded one.
You could download the rom overnight on a PC & then flash it yourself.
Make sure to download the correct rom for your phone, also take care how you do it.
You can check which model is yours by using Ironass's thread here
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/760098-23-galaxy-s4-models-know-yours.html#post6099681.

If you have the unbranded version here is a direct link to the rom

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=26516

Reactions: DocDick
Upvote 0
Thanks anoniemouse,

I appreciate the time you've taken to help and your kind words, but I guess I just didn't phrase my original request very well.

I would like to be able to download the update onto my phone specifically using the mobile network as I can frequently get speeds of 10Mbps, occasionally even as high as 20Mbps.

All advice gratefully received.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones