• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help data usage widget

Dear OP,

I am having same problem on my rooted HTC Incredible. Here's what I did, which I believed CAUSED the problem, and what I intend to TRY to solve the problem.

First, let me first acknowledge my absolutely noobness, noobity, noobification and/or any other term to describe just what a moron I am on Android devices. I am a PC technician by trade, but when it comes to Android, well, let's just say that I anticipate that my belov'd HTC Droid Incredible will likely die an un-natural death at my own hands while attempting some far-fetched hack. But I digress...

Using Titanium Backup Pro (the only software I have paid for in the last 20 years), I forcefully un-installed some bloatware from my DInc, including City ID, Amazon MP3, etc... Worked like a charm. Then, I uninstalled Verizon Data Usage widget/app. Still good at this point. Next is where I think I made the mistake, though I could be totally wrong, but I then uninstalled "V Cast Apps Manager." It was then, that I instantly noticed the repetitive notification in my notification bar, that "A new data usage app is now available! Simply long click..." yada, yada, yada...

I get the notification about once an hour.

I assumed that simply re-installing the damn data usage app would fix it, but nope, notifications persisted. I went back into Titanium Backup Pro (TBP) and tried to find the V Cast Apps app in the market, but the app does not exist in the Google Market.

My next idea (haven't gotten that far yet) is to find the install file for said V Cast Apps app within my drop box account (note: TBP created a backup of all my apps and data files, and placed them on a website called drop box, so I should be able to re-install it, assuming my giant noobies don't get in the way).

I should mention, I have also not even yet tried a reboot after uninstalling the bloatware, or even re-installing the data usage widget, so I am at very preliminary stage of rectification methods.

I will hopefully return soon with positive results.

OP, please let me know your current status with this problem, and if resolution was found; how.

Thanks!

(p.s... any egregious typo's can be blamed on my erotic auto-type!)

(p.s.s... in case sarcasm detector didn't go off, that was a joke, of course I meant erratic, lol)

Upvote 0
So after re-installing data usage widget, I simply rebooted and notifications no longer seem to be streaming in. Phone has been on several hours and I haven't yet received the notification.

Hope it was as easy for you.

I wish I didn't freaking like Sense UI so damn much, or I would kick it (and all the bloatware and stupid VZW notifications) to the curb.

CM7 is the only ROM I've tried so far... Was pretty cool, I LOVED the rotating home page, but 5 home page screens to HTC's 7 was an un-acceptable trade off. Also loved reboot option on power down. But ultimately, losing that sweet, sweet facebook integration with the People contacts app was FAIL. Can't wait to try new ROM's and kernels though. I updated my radio to latest, I guess that's a good thing? One bummer was that SetCPU caused my phone to freeze/shut down when I attempted to clock it above 1Ghz. The stock kernel for CM7 allowed for 1.13Ghz, but crashed for me. I might need to update my SetCPU app though.

Wow, Android, Woot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones