• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Debranding problem

ramble_on

Lurker
Sep 20, 2010
Hi, I'm in Australia and work mainly in remote mine sites. I have an Optus branded, unlocked X10i that I just received from insurance because my old phone (Nokia N95 8GB) died. The thing is that with both of these phones I use a Telstra prepaid sim card in them and on one site I frequent there is no service from either of them. The sim card works in all other phones. The same happens with all Optus post-paid phones using Telstra Next G sim cards, regardless of the phone brand so I assume it's in the Optus firmware.

However the debranding tutorial here in these forums describes a folder on "C" drive that does not exist on my computer. There is no folder "Update Service" or "db". Firstly, would debranding the phone help in my case an secondly why is there no such folder? Thanks.

btw. I am a novice.

I think you need to install and run the sony ericsson update service with the phone plugged in so the program can create all the folders, if your not worried about loosing data from the phones internal memory (contacts,txts etc) then run a repair to download the files that need replacing. Been a while since i did mine but im sure i had to do this.

Reactions: ramble_on
Upvote 0
Thanks again Duncs. I finally got it to work and the phone is unbranded. It's not locked as I can use any sim card in it, but at one particular mine site I can't get any Telstra service with it. The Telstra sim works in all other areas but this one, even still after debranding the phone. One thing I noticed that branding had done was removed the Auto Internet settings option and I now have that back, but still no Telstra service from the phone here. I'm at a loss because I know Telstra released phones of the same type do work here. I guess I'll have to stick with the Tu550 while I'm at this site. Thanks anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones