• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desire Battery Issue - not a moan.

paulcooper

Android Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2010
Hi everyone,

I am a great fan of HTC phones and have had quite a few over the years and they all have their quirks and problems, but the biggest is battery life!

I am going to defend the HTC Desire

My HTC Desire can do pretty much everything my laptop can do (apart from develop .net code and websites and edit photoshop images) as far as I know...

My laptop battery lasts at most 2 hours on battery and thats a few emails listen to music, surf a bit, MSN, my Desire does all that with live feeds from sky news - sky sports - facebook/twitter and even watch youtube and text and MAKE A PHONE CALL - SO my HTC Desire can easily do all those things and still have enough battery life to remind me I need to feed it (just like the pets) after a typical 8am-7pm job including bluetooth in the car ordering pizza!

People keep saying about their other phones last for days on battery, yeah what does it do... txt calls, wap(maybe)
The HTC range does just about everything

You give me a laptop that can perform that well and still be as small and light and can talk on on that battery life for 12 hours a day - I give you the HTC Desire

Please feel free to slate me, but I stand by what I am saying!

I pretty much agree, i was horrified to begin with when i got my iPhone 3G that it only lasted 1-1.5 days on battery, but soon came to the same conclusion as you. If you consider the Desire (I now own one :0) to be a mini computer, and not just a phone, the battery life is actually more than reasonable.

I moan quite a lot about my iphone battery but when you put it that way it is actually pretty reasonable. Also if you are that bothered about battery life you can actually buy these powerstraps which you can plug your phone into and use for extra life.

Upvote 0
To be honest, I don't think the battery is bad at all. I mean, what exactly is wrong with needing to charge it every night anyway? Smartphones are, like you said, more like mini computers - the more you ask of them the quicker the battery drains, that's the trade off.

If people need something that will last them 2 weeks on 1 charge fine, they have to be prepared to lose a lot functionality. Plus technology is moving forward, we're constantly seeing battery technology improving and it won't be long before we won't have to trade off anything. Which will be nice...

Upvote 0
I thought this would be a bigger issue for me, but actually since I spend most of my day at my desk at work, it's not a problem to top up the charge when necessary, and I get a day's use anyway (and I'm sure this will go up a little when the first week's novelty wears off).

I'll probably get a couple of micro usb cables since they're so cheap and just leave them places where I might go and accidentally forget my charger (parents, office, etc) and perhaps invest in one of those powerstrap devices just in case, but really I'm hardly ever that far from a powersource for long enough to matter, and given all the benefits that these smartphones bring I'm more than happy to make the trade of charging it a little more frequently.

Upvote 0
Brave comparison but i agree to an extent. Its features are very impressive.
Despite these, my mobile phone is primarily a communications device constantly with me whilst out and about, and should last until i climb into bed. Costs about the same as my laptop if you consider the average tariff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones