• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

System update problem

justamel

Nov 16, 2021
Canada
Posting Here, so obviously I have a Moto g power 2021. It runs Android 10 and until now I have not tried to update the system. Why u ask? - on this laptop that I am now using I am continually hounded to update the Firefox browser and my anti-virus app. Long time ago the latest update of these items seemed to be causing problems in shutting down the system. SO, I stopped updating. THIS is why I don't set for "auto update" or even manually update. (yes it is NOT the proper way to do things)

For some reason I just a few hours ago tried to update the oper.system on this phone and system said Andoroid 11..... was available but when I tried to do this I kept getting told to: "Turn off data saver" !! This was not on so could NOT be turned OFF. I can not get any further on updating the system.

Does anyone have an answer?

I have tried the "on/off and reboot" suggestions separately and combined and just did again few minutes ago. Still the same resulting message "Turn of data saver". Could there be other things/permissions that I have OFF that need to be on?? I do not want apps doing unknown things in the background just because I have my phone on and data activated. (just so you know my phone is OFF most of the time and data is not activated unless I want to use it.)

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
Sorry for delay in replying to the suggestions. I had be trying to do the update using my mobile data connection. On looking carefully at the screen info. with the update instructions I saw that using Wifi connection was suggested as better option. I went to my public library, logged on to their wifi service and the update functioned correctly with no mention of "turning off data saver" function (which as mentioned before I never had ON at any point).
Update process took about 1 hr. and at the end system was updated and seems to be just fine. No need to try Reset. As said before I am NOT totally "tech savvy" and maybe using Wifi is normally the way it is done.

SO, problem solved and thankyou again for suggestions/help.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Sorry for delay in replying to the suggestions. I had be trying to do the update using my mobile data connection. On looking carefully at the screen info. with the update instructions I saw that using Wifi connection was suggested as better option. I went to my public library, logged on to their wifi service and the update functioned correctly with no mention of "turning off data saver" function (which as mentioned before I never had ON at any point).
Update process took about 1 hr. and at the end system was updated and seems to be just fine. No need to try Reset. As said before I am NOT totally "tech savvy" and maybe using Wifi is normally the way it is done.

SO, problem solved and thankyou again for suggestions/help.
There may be a setting that restricts system updates to download over wi-fi only. If you can find it you can toggle it on/off as needed.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones