• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root DETAILED Leak Root Tutorial

yup, and you can test if adb is working by having your phone plugged in with usb debugging on and typing ./adb devices

I got

ryan-soukups-mac-mini:tools soukuprr$ ./adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
HT9AVHG07954 device

ryan-soukups-mac-mini:tools soukuprr$ ./sh runinlinuxfromtools.sh
-bash: ./sh: No such file or directory
ryan-soukups-mac-mini:tools soukuprr$ ./sh runinlinuxadb.sh
ryan-soukups-mac-mini:tools soukuprr$

Any suggestions, I put all the things from the Hack.zip into the tools folder.

Upvote 0
I got

ryan-soukups-mac-mini:tools soukuprr$ ./adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
HT9AVHG07954 device

ryan-soukups-mac-mini:tools soukuprr$ ./sh runinlinuxfromtools.sh
ryan-soukups-mac-mini:tools soukuprr$ ./sh runinlinuxadb.sh
ryan-soukups-mac-mini:tools soukuprr$

Any suggestions, I put all the things from the Hack.zip into the tools folder.

Try running the sh without ./ in front

Upvote 0
Phone booting to blank screen, I f*#cked something up. :)

Used the EvilEris rom, should I not have?

Oh snap, pulled the batter and booted again, it came up... Just took like 5 minutes.

So EvilEris the correct ROM or am I a dunce?

That long black screen scared me too, and I started with EvilEris, but didn't like it and changed to "KaosLegendary" and the reboot time was a LOT less. I switched because I like Sense and the look of it, and EvilEris didn't have that, but the Kaos one does. And no, you didn't mess anything up.

Upvote 0
awesome thanks for the replies...

Some questions that do not seem to easy to find answers to.

1) What are the differences between the roms? I see all the names but do I just have to try everyone to see what the difference is?

2) How do I go about overclocking ? Is there a specific rom?

try this thread: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/125129-recommended-roms.html..

also, the app rom manager should help you change easily

get setcpu to overclock. its free if you have an xda membership. otherwise its 2 or 3 $

Upvote 0
Wanted to say thanks!!!! I am ROOTED. Got one question though, after I unplugged my phone from my USB my charge light stays on. Red color. Oh I installed KayosFroyov23. You guys got any ideas?

It also says my sd card is not mounted, so I have no pictures in gallery and went and got Astro and it finds nothing too?

pull down your info bar and select charge only if it says disk drive. or just disconnect from your pc

Upvote 0
Wanted to say thanks!!!! I am ROOTED. Got one question though, after I unplugged my phone from my USB my charge light stays on. Red color. Oh I installed KayosFroyov23. You guys got any ideas?

It also says my sd card is not mounted, so I have no pictures in gallery and went and got Astro and it finds nothing too?

Well the light issue in there list of bugs on xda for it says the light may stay on.

Upvote 0
I got all the way through this and flashed engtools; however, I get the following error when I try to flash the overclock kernel:

Install from sd card...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...

E: No signature (2 files)
E: Verification failed

Installation aborted.

You flashed the wrong image. Flash the one that says overclock update v3.zip NOT overclock zimage.

That was it, thanks! :)

Upvote 0
I just wanted to throw in some wording clarification suggestions.

3. When its done downloading put the files of the folder into the tools folder of the android sdk. The tools folder can be found at /where ever you put the sdk/android-sdk-86_mac/tools.

I would clarify which "files of the folder" you're talking about. As in, the 2 steps before you are talking about downloading -- the Android SDK and the hack-v4.zip file. I would put in a note that the Android SDK file you downloaded needs to be extracted first. Then you extract the contents of the hack-v4.zip file into the Android SDK's tools folder.

4. Download a custom ROM, I recommend KaosFroyo, but you can choose whatever one you want. Place the .zip file on the root of the SD Card (ie. Not in a folder). PS. If your mac automatically decompresses the .zip, you can find the original .zip file in the trash. For this plug your phone into the computer and select disk drive mode, and copy the .zip onto the phone.
LIST OF ROMS: Known Droid Eris Roms, Patches and Hacks - UPDATED 05-11-2010 - xda-developers

Here, I would perhaps add something here about an easy way to mount the SD card as a disk drive. (i.e. Pull down the notification curtain at the top of the screen on your phone and tap the USB connection notification, then tap Mount as Disk Drive, something like this)

That's about all I got for now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones