• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root DETAILED Leak Root Tutorial

Surg...thanks for taking the time to do this for the tech-challenged. I know there is a section dedicated to root, but, for a guy like me - a stranger in a (very) strange land, I swear.....I would read and read and become more and more confused. All I was after was a way to gain a bit more spped, wifi tethering, and getting rid of some bloat.

You wrote this assuming the reader has ZERO-ZIP-NADA knowledge. Thanks so much!

I'm gonna do this tonight...honest....as soon as I stop shaking.....honest.....really.......:eek::eek:

Upvote 0
Surg...thanks for taking the time to do this for the tech-challenged. I know there is a section dedicated to root, but, for a guy like me - a stranger in a (very) strange land, I swear.....I would read and read and become more and more confused. All I was after was a way to gain a bit more spped, wifi tethering, and getting rid of some bloat.

You wrote this assuming the reader has ZERO-ZIP-NADA knowledge. Thanks so much!

I'm gonna do this tonight...honest....as soon as I stop shaking.....honest.....really.......:eek::eek:

No problem man, I'm happy to help :)
I gotta lot of pm's asking questions on the official instructions so i typed this up for anyone having questions about the process

Upvote 0
I am still stuck at the adb shell trying to get my comp to read my phone. I keep getting the flippin "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program, or batch file" i am on windows xp and at a loss. this is the 3rd day i have been stuck on this step. when i check the device manager it recognizes my phone, but i cant update the drivers it says my device is working fine. i am anxiously awaiting the detailed linstructions for windows, cause unless im reading this wrong, everyone in this thread has a mac. i will dance a freakin jig if i ever get this phone rooted. my reading has led me to an article that says im geting this message because i have not changed my directory and to do step 3 which under the basic root trouble shooting guide is change to the tools directory i am typing cd c:\android-sdk-windows\tools. this puts me in the right directory. then when i type adb shell or adb devices , I get said message. sooooo flippin frusterated. has searched every where, and the solutions provided arnt working. thinking about starting from scratch. yes i have phone in debug, charge only, with usb drivers extracted to my sdk tools folder if that helps

Upvote 0
I am still stuck at the ab\db shell trying to get my comp to read my phone. I keep getting the flippin "adb is not recognized as an internal or external co, operable program, or batch file" i am on windows xp and at a loss. this is the 3rd day i have been stuck on this step. when i check the device manager it recognizes my phone, but i cant update the drivers it says my device is working fine. i am anxiously awaiting the detailed linstructions for windows, cause unless im reading this wrong, everyone in this thread has a mac. i will dance a freakin jig if i ever get this phone rooted. my reading has led me to an article that says im geting this message because i have not changed my directory and to do step 3 whichunnder the basic root trouble shooting guide is change to the tools directory i am typing cd c:\android-sdk-windows\tools. chis puts me in the right directory. then when i type adb shell or adb devices , I get said message. sooooo flippin frusterated. has searched every where, and the solutions provided arnt working. thinking about starting from scratch. yes i have phone in debug, charge only, with usb drivers extracted to my sdk tools folder if that helps
Hmm.. you have the sdk installed correctly too? it's weird because i have never gotten that message on windows or mac. Maybe once I get the windows instructions from alparzoam we can troubleshoot your situation better. Don't worry, we will get you rooted. You can expect the windows instructions by tomorrow.

Reactions: kamots
Upvote 0
Hmm.. you have the sdk installed correctly too? it's weird because i have never gotten that message on windows or mac. Maybe once I get the windows instructions from alparzoam we can troubleshoot your situation better. Don't worry, we will get you rooted. You can expect the windows instructions by tomorrow.

do you think i should download and re set up my sdk files?

Upvote 0
I am having an issue on step 5 of flashing the engineering bootloader it says:

user-MacBook-Pro:tools Arcadia$ ./adb shell /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/custom.img
/data/local/flash_image: permission denied
user-MacBook-Pro:tools Arcadia$

I was researching and I saw that if you get that reboot and try the whole process again. If it happens again tell me.

Upvote 0

guess no one likes my windows instructions. lol

Upvote 0

check to see if adb.exe is in your tools folder. you may not have extracted properly

Upvote 0
I am still stuck at the adb shell trying to get my comp to read my phone. I keep getting the flippin "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program, or batch file" i am on windows xp and at a loss. this is the 3rd day i have been stuck on this step. when i check the device manager it recognizes my phone, but i cant update the drivers it says my device is working fine. i am anxiously awaiting the detailed linstructions for windows, cause unless im reading this wrong, everyone in this thread has a mac. i will dance a freakin jig if i ever get this phone rooted. my reading has led me to an article that says im geting this message because i have not changed my directory and to do step 3 which under the basic root trouble shooting guide is change to the tools directory i am typing cd c:\android-sdk-windows\tools. this puts me in the right directory. then when i type adb shell or adb devices , I get said message. sooooo flippin frusterated. has searched every where, and the solutions provided arnt working. thinking about starting from scratch. yes i have phone in debug, charge only, with usb drivers extracted to my sdk tools folder if that helps
Make sure that before you enter adb shell, you enter in exactly this:

cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools

Upvote 0
Ok now it lists:

PB00100 XC ENG S-OFF
HBOOT 1.49.200 (PB0010000)

But when I try do to the last step

After the new rom is flashed, you can now use fastboot to flash a recovery image while in the bootloader

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
(I am on that screen that tells me the bootloader it says FASTBOOT USB highlighted in red <vol down> hboot mode

I type:

user-MacBook-Pro:tools Arcadia$ ./fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
-bash: ./fastboot: Permission denied

Upvote 0
Ok now it lists:

PB00100 XC ENG S-OFF

After the new rom is flashed, you can now use fastboot to flash a recovery image while in the bootloader

Code:
(I am on that screen that tells me the bootloader it says FASTBOOT USB highlighted in red <vol down> hboot mode

Windows 7 user here... I got messed up at thus step as well, except I couldn't get the recovery.img file to flash.

Now I'm stuck with no recovery to restore from, and to make matters worse, I've lost root.

Upvote 0
Ok now it lists:

PB00100 XC ENG S-OFF

Code:

I type:

user-MacBook-Pro:tools Arcadia$ ./fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
-bash: ./fastboot: Permission denied
try " ./adb shell " then the fastboot command

Upvote 0
I get... and I have tried a reboot of the phone.

user-MacBook-Pro:tools Arcadia$ ./adb shell fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
error: device not found
user-MacBook-Pro:tools Arcadia$ ./adb devices
List of devices attached

List of devices attached

Upvote 0
I get... and I have tried a reboot of the phone.

user-MacBook-Pro:tools Arcadia$ ./adb shell fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
error: device not found
List of devices attached

List of devices attached

To be honest I have not done the engineering bootloader :eek: but I think jcase and the people on the XDA thread will be able to help you greatly considering jcase made the process:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones