• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Developer's Team

I think yes, the bootstraper is open source and a programmer, who worked with android api could make that app work for us.

P.S. Devour, Droid X and Defy

Caveats:
This is not a *real* recovery. The way this recovery works is by hijacking portions of your boot process during system initialization and starting into recovery instead. So, if you hose your system *COMPLETELY* you will need to SBF. Specifically, if your logwrapper, logwrapper.bin, or hijack binary are missing from /system/bin, you will be screwed.

Do I have to be rooted to run this?
Yes.

So can we now install custom ROMs?
Yes, but you can't replace the kernel or boot image. But really, once you have access to /system, anything is possible. It will just take a little hackery.

How does this work?
When your device boots up, there is a init.rc script in your boot image that runs various components found in /system. The Droid X recovery bootstrap mimics the "logwrapper" binary. The hijacker then looks for "/data/.recovery_mode", and if it finds it, it unmounts /system to prevent android from starting. It then starts up recovery instead.
(c)My Brain Hurts: Droid X Recovery (and Droid 2 too!)

If we got it to work.... we will have Clockwork recovery

this should be my last question...im sure you guys are sick of me.
what kind of hackery is this talking about?
i want to put a custom rom on my phone but dont know how.

thanks (once) again.

moto
:thinking:

Upvote 0
We could attempt to use the droid x instructions and see if thatll work for the devour, but i dont know if thatd brick our phone since its not for the devour exactly, but we have droid x bootstrapper on our phones which might make it possible to flash different roms onto our phones, but dont we have to mess with the apks of those roms first and tweak them to fit our specific bootloader and kernel?

Reactions: olikua
Upvote 0
We could attempt to use the droid x instructions and see if thatll work for the devour, but i dont know if thatd brick our phone since its not for the devour exactly, but we have droid x bootstrapper on our phones which might make it possible to flash different roms onto our phones, but dont we have to mess with the apks of those roms first and tweak them to fit our specific bootloader and kernel?

who wants to try first?

I understand that my system is wierd because of the tweaking of the build.prop file, but now i cant use some of my apps (facebook, twitter) because they FC upon opening. Any Help?

Moto
:cool:

Upvote 0
How to go back to stock firmware! Real simple. Good to use if you have rooted, removed too much bloatware and accidentally removed something you needed!
1. Google, locate and download RSD Lite 4.6
2. Download the stock Devour file HERE
3. Once downloaded and extracted, fire up RSD Lite and locate the Devour file in the program.
4. Put your Devour in bootloader mode by turning the phone off, removing battery and SDCard, plugging in USB and holding down keys E+R at the same time until blue screen shows up.
5. Once RSD Lite recognizes your Devour and you have the file located in the FILENAME area, click START. It will take a few minutes to complete.
6. Once RSD says it is done, put the battery back in the phone and restart. You will have to re-register the phone. Just follow the on screen prompts.
7. After you have set the phone up, go to Settings/About Phone/System Updates and check for updates. It will find the most recent update (since the file you have used in this tutorial is one update prior to the most recent {and last official update). Install the most recent update and VOILA'! You are back to stock firmware!

* instructions from Androidtechie:Devour [How to] go back to stock firmware!

Upvote 0
CALAND_X_01.15.08P_MONSTER_01.sbf (i found the source file on the pirate bay, which is a torrent site, so you'll have to set up a torrent, or i can upload it somewhere and give you the URL once it's downloaded.)
that's the source file for the Devour, then you download RSDLite 4.6 here.
then set it up and follow the instructions i posted earlier today to put your phone into bootloader mode (which i called 'recovery mode' earlier and i was wrong).

Upvote 0
Most guides and all that stuff are for more mainstream phones, written by peope who think the Droid/Droid 2 are the only Android phones in existence.

I'm also stuck with my Devour for another year. But I'd be willing to test anything with clear directions. I'm sick of the Devour's stock ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones