• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Did I get the only non-wonky Inc?

AJ McKay

Apr 18, 2010
I say that in semi-jest, but sometimes I feel that way reading this site. And I also know that the perception that the Inc sucks is because the only people posting are people who have problems.

However, I also believe that a large part of the problem is non-nerds (i.e. Tech saavy people) getting Android phones because they want a "smart phone" without really knowing what they're getting into with Android. I'm not trying to sound like an elitist here, I just feel that a lot of people who have jumped to Android phones and are having problems would be better served by a Palm or a Blackberry or an iPhone, that is, a device that's more controlled and less open.

Just my two cents on the subject.

My phone is pretty much perfect. You have to think of it in perspective. People tend to only come online when they have problems, so the sample from on here isn't exactly representative. Out of a few hundred thousand devices, you get a few dozen that come on here and say they have problems. If the phone was really that much of a disaster Verizon would have taken it off the market.

Upvote 0
The only real issue I've had with my Incredible has been battery life. I'm still contemplating how to handle that, as for now I've just been charging it while I'm at work and overnight, but I'd like to stop the twice-a-day routine, as it doesn't work well on weekends. I'm just trying to decide which battery to get, since I hear so much fuss between the 1500mah HTC, and the 1750mah Sedieo (or however it's spelled...)

Upvote 0
They call the users 'fanboys' because they can't think of anything intelligent to say and are jealous/in denial that most people have great Incredibles while they are stuck with a lesser phone or couldn't get one from verizon at all.

That gets a lot more attention than positive threads and gets embedded into 'the collective' a lot easier too.

Not that people don't have some legit complaints - some phones definitely have some flaws but they are very minor for the most part and actually ask for help instead of coming off as obnoxious and rude.

Reactions: earthtodigi
Upvote 0
My Incredible is 100% flawless, greatest device ever. I suggest every Incredible owner just spend the money and get the 2150 battery and their phone will be perfect. They won't regret it.

'cept for that J-Lo ass. ;)

I agree, my Inc is pretty much perfect to me. Battery could be better, but I can make it through the work day (from rise to roost) on a single charge so that's all I need. Bump charging before I leave for work in the morning helps too. On the weekends, if I've got strong signal and remember to turn off Wifi when I'm out of the house, I've made it 36 hours or so on a charge.

Edit: That 36 hours was with the stock battery when I first got the phone. I'm currently running the HTC 1500 mah battery, and pushing the phone much harder on the weekends, so I only get 24 hours or so. However, my workday time has gone up (and it's constantly fighting for a signal here).

Upvote 0
mine is pretty much flawless. at first i noticed a pink hue before i read anything about it so i know i didn't create it in my mind. however, i feel like with time it just went away or my eyes adjusted to it. everything else is perfect. grabbed one of those 15$ HTC 1500mah batteries from bidallies as well and it's been wonderful for the little bit of extra juice.

no complaints at all other than the unknown date of our 2.2 update. my girlfriend's N1 got it over the weekend. so jealous :(

Upvote 0
Am loving it as well, been busy last couple days and i'm on 47 hours up with 4 1/2 hours awake. with all the awake time being menial stuff, no browsing, reading ebooks. Of course it depends on what you doing. If it came with a 1500 then i would be forced to say this phone is absolutely perfect!! As is i still want to molest it and have little incredible babies to raise as my own!!

Upvote 0
AJ, you did not get the only one, mine is pretty much perfection. that said, i'm not sure it's fair to say that only tech nerds need apply for the incredible, or any android device. a phone should be pretty easy to use out of the box. however, i do think the incredible *is* pretty easy to use right out of the box. of course if you play around with it more, you will get a lot more out of it. but if you just keep the widgets as they are on the phone out of the box (mine had the htc widgets already on there...i'm assuming this is how it comes, as i got a refurb, don't know), and the pre installed apps, you are pretty much good to go. every smart phone has somewhat of a learning curve, just to figure out how to get the most out of it (for instance, before i got my moto droid, i didn't even know what a widget was). and these forums are really helpful for that. but most people just want a fun smart phone that can do some pretty "basic" stuff (social networking, web browsing, texting, um, phoning) and look sexy doing it. that you get with the phone as it is out of box. your average user isn't going to be all "my god, this screen has a mild pink hue!" or want to be able to root the phone or whatever. you know?

i just think the phone is all good to start with. of course there are people who have totally legit problems with it, just like i had problems with my moto droid. there are always bad units, definitely. i'm not downplaying that. i just think by and large, your average user isn't going to have the sorts of problems we dissect here on a daily basis. unless they are the more serious problems that have been noted (like random reboots or something). otherwise, the inc is a fine out of the box device, assuming that smart phone learning curve.

and of course, as everyone else has said, this is where you come to talk about problems you have with your phone, to figure out solutions. so it's going to seem like there are a ton of problems. most of them are not too serious, though, and can be fixed, which is why this is such a great place to bring those things up. yay, forums! :)

Reactions: BlueBlahBleh
Upvote 0
Mine works just fine. The only thing it doesn't do right is it forgets my custom trimmed ringtones.

I have that same problem with the ringtones when I make them with the HTC music app. I got RingDroid from the market and havent had a problem since, it is much nicer to use as well, I highly recommend it.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.ringdroid

Upvote 0
However, I also believe that a large part of the problem is non-nerds (i.e. Tech saavy people) getting Android phones because they want a "smart phone" without really knowing what they're getting into with Android. I'm not trying to sound like an elitist here, I just feel that a lot of people who have jumped to Android phones and are having problems would be better served by a Palm or a Blackberry or an iPhone, that is, a device that's more controlled and less open.

Just my two cents on the subject.

I disagree. In fact, if this is the case, then Android will never succeed. It HAS to appeal to and work well for the masses (and not just techies) to justify Google investing in future development and releases. Their in business to make money, grow and get a return on their investment, not to just cater to technies.

I'm a techie (both personally and professionally), but had a legitimate hardware issue with my phone which caused it to be "wonky". Several others have had similar issues. But it's pretty common for people with problems to post about whereas people without problems tend not to post as much. So it throws the percentages off perceptually to anyone coming here. With that said, I could just as easily gotten a Palm or Blackberry with a similar type of issue.

There is a learning Curve with Android, but it isn't THAT great. Anyone going from a dumb phone to a smart phone is going to be faced with some sort of learning curve regardless of which platform they go with. Sense makes it fairly easy to use the platform right out of the box without too much trouble.

Edit: Forgot to add; Although my first phone had the wonkiness (call issues, constant reboots), the second one is serving me well so far (a refurb). Got some pinkness in the screen, but only really noticable in gmail (read messages), but it doesn't bother me. Overall, I love this phone.

Reactions: gidget
Upvote 0
I am still convinced that the wonkyness experienced by many people is due to open source apps. Because the apps are open source, they may not play nice with each other and they are not guaranteed to. They get all wonky tonk and play redneck games with each other.

If you quit filling your phones with two or more apps that control the same features (ringtones, profiles, sound control, brightness etc.) them rednecks will play nice together.

I had Ring Toggle and loaded the profile widget. Took me a couple of days to figure out why sometimes my ringer would work and sometimes it would be silent. I uninstalled the profile widget and all went back to normal.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
My phone is perfect. Someone probably already said this, but I tend not to read threads past the first post or two, but typically, only those with issues are going to post about them. Those with perfectly fine phones aren't going to just come and post "oh hey! My phone has no issues!" So, it might SEEM that that there are a lot of issues, but the data is skewed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones