• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Disabling Google Voice Search

BentoBox

Lurker
Nov 5, 2012
This feature has been driving me nuts.

Everytime the phone receives some sort of impact, from a slight shake to a 1ft+ drop, the google voice search activates, each time interrupting whatever it is that I'm doing. I can be biking with the phone in my pocket whilst listening to music, and the voice search will trigger from the vibrations. I stood at a bus station last week and 5 18-wheelers rolled on by and apparently the sound of the engines alone made it impossible for me to use my phone for an entire minute as everytime I would press back, voice search would be triggered again.

I have tried disabling google search, I have tried scrolling at the bottom of the apps list and disabling voice search, I have tried unchecking google voice typing, I have tried disabling hotword detection. I factory reset my phone this morning hoping it would solve the problem, to no avail.

I have an otterbox case if that matters.

How do I get rid of this?

I've never ever ever had google voice search open up accidentally. Unless I swipe up to start google now, or press the shortcut for search it just doesn't happen.
Have you tried it without the case. Aside from that it could be a physical defect where the screen is registering touches that don't exist.

Upvote 0
I am also having same issue. When I connect the headphones with mic voice search starts automatically. We are not living in a perfect world where there won't be any sounds. How can I disable or change the setting so that it starts only when I wanted. This happens only when I connect the headphones with mic otherwise working perfectly.

Upvote 0
I am also having same issue. When I connect the headphones with mic voice search starts automatically. We are not living in a perfect world where there won't be any sounds. How can I disable or change the setting so that it starts only when I wanted. This happens only when I connect the headphones with mic otherwise working perfectly.

does it do it with different headsets? I haven't had mine do that.

that said in settings for google voice is a setting that says. "hotword detection" you can try turning that off..

Upvote 0
I dont get either of these problems.....OP, i would also suggest not using the case and seeing if that does anything. not sure why it would, but worth a shot. actaully sounds like a defect of some sort.

as for the headphone trigger, i use the stock headphones that came with my nexus and i dont have that issue. i haven't tried any other heaphones, but those dont give me any issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones