• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Do I need a new digitiser? Broken Screen

dada55

Lurker
Apr 16, 2015
Hello everyone. I dropped my phone and the screen no longer works. The phone boots up and receives messages fine. Initially it would flash a screen when pressing the home button but then I tried some guides that suggested hitting the phone. I dropped it a few times on the screen (cracked it further) but had a bit of a result: top half of screen was working but very smudged and on spots - as if someone had dropped purple paint on it. The screen was somewhat responsive, I managed to clear a message notification but tried unlocking my phone by pressing roughly where I remember the pin numbers are and it didn't work. (sometimes did feel the vibration from pressing a number though)
I tried dropping it further and now screen is completely black again.... (Not my wisest idea)

I have never done any replacement work on any phone so have no idea on what to do from here. Most of my stuff are in my SD card but I want to get some data including whatsapp messages that are on my internal storage. Or in best case scenario even fix my phone.

I researched a bit and it seems there are very cheap kits that replace the glass of the screen but I am not sure if that will fix it. The replacement kits with digitisers seem to be a lot more expensive.
Could anyone more knowledgeable than me advise me on what to buy? I'm from the UK and model is GI9505

edit: I read a thread similar to this and have realised it doesn't do the boot up sound when "booting up". I always have my phone on silent though and can't remember whether you can turn it up while locked.
When I had the top half of the screen working, the boot up messages and all did come up and then went to lock screen. Hopefully I haven't damaged it much further by dropping it more.

Thank you all in advance

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones