• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you have to have a verizon account?

fizgig

Dec 12, 2009
I'm thinking of fixing my motorolla droid so I can give it to my dad so he can use it's wifi ability to do some stuff. He wouldn't be signing up with Verizon. Is it possible to use the phone without a Verizon account (no calling obviously but everything else)?

When you first turn on the phone after restoring to factory settings, touch the screen in a clockwise motion in each of the four corners starting from the top left when holding the phone in the portrait position. This is to be done on the screen that appears with the android figure that says touch to activate. That will allow you to bypass the Verizon and Google activation sequence. You can add your Google credentials later by going to settings>accounts and sync.

Kratos

Reactions: JonnyK429
Upvote 0
Just a thought but I use mine with pageplus cellular since I don't use that much cell service a month. If he would like to use what is roughly verizon like coverage he could activate it with them and just turn off cellular data and at least still be able to use it to receive calls. I think I spend something like $10 a month for my useage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones