• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you own your phone?

I see it as: You own the actual physical hardware*, but you don't own the software, this is licensed with an EULA which you agree to, to use the software. e.g. you may own the PC, but you don't own Windows which runs on it. You have a license to use Windows, subject to Microsoft's T&Cs. The way to truly own the software which runs on a PC, is to install Linux or other F/OSS operating system and software, instead of Windows and other EULA'd proprietary software.

Lol apparently I'm not the only one who gets pissed when call of duty gets hacked :D

Because you don't actually own the game, you only have a license to use it, which is subject to an EULA. You do own the console though, but not the software which runs on it.

* Anyone remember the Cuecat? A barcode-scanner where the manufacturer thought you didn't actually own the hardware. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CueCat

Upvote 0
Do we really own anything. We buy CD's MP3 but dont own the material of it. Heck I supposedly own my car and house but if I dont pay property tax. Then the gov takes my house and car. Plus with a house if they lets say want to widen a road they can just take the house.

So really do we own anything in this day and age.

Upvote 0
Definately not many surprises in that for a community such as this. I guess if I were to take the time, and effort to go out and invent something as advanced as the Kinect, I might be a little salty if someone else came along, took it, tweaked it, and then used it in an attempt to make money off of it for themself. But simply taking a Kinect, tweaking it, and using it for any personal use you can think of, short of making money off of it, I can't see Microsoft having a problem with. They should just be happy that people are going to buy it in droves for personal uses. Who cares what projects they use it for.

And I'm with you (the OP), I feel as though I've bought my DX, I didn't lease it. That means I should have the freedom to tweak it however I see fit. And indeed I am, Motorola isn't going to send a SWAT team after me if they find out I have the thing rooted. But I have to give up my warrantee along the way. So the biggest issue that sticks in my crawl is these so called 'sponsors' of the phone that they weave into blur (Kindle, Madden 2011, Amazon, etc...) and don't let us remove of our own free will. Really, sponsors? Well now, if they're sponsoring this phone, then why did I pay for it?

That's a sponsors job. That's why Jimmie Johnson drives around with a big 'Lowes' sticker on his car... because they gave him a big, fat check to help pay for the car, not because he just LOVES shopping at Lowes.

Upvote 0
I believe there are two real underlying issues here.

Issue A. Equality why should only major big name developers be allowed to develop games?

Game development is big and it is expensive. If I know I can never develop a game on par with a major production company such as say bungie.

That doesn't mean I don't have my own unique idea's for games that I want to try and see through.

So if me and a few friends want to develop why should we be totally unable to just because Sony disagrees?

As much as many people hate microsoft they learned early on the value of developers. You can dev for 360, or windows if I am not mistaken they even offer free dev tools for windows in visual studio's light and what not.

Could me and 5 friends on a team compete with bungie? No.. but, if we start making enough money eventually it could go places. Why should everyone have a chance? if I can make a game and get an audience who likes it why should I not be allowed to do this legally?

The other issue is piracy or unfair advantages in games.

There are laws which exist for the sake of being "fair" to other people. EX: your not allowed to blare music and be disruptive at 2 in the morning

So I understand no cheating in video games..

On the flipside.. I don't support the whole "we are going to assume the majority of players are low life scum who deserve to have their gaming experience ruined by drm" mentality which seems pretty popular..

NOTE: DRM ONLY RUINS THE GAME OF THOSE WHO PAY FOR IT LEGALLY.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones