• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you really need txting if you have email?

I use a mix of email, sms and im. It usually just depends on the contact. My job actually requires contact with people at Google so I use Gtalk with them a lot. Other people in my office rely heavily on sms and others don't/won't pay for it so they just stick with email.

I personally prefer IM apps over everything else just for the variety and speed that they allow. I can be on my desktop, laptop, netbook or phone and use the same program to communicate with people.

Upvote 0
My wife and I both have unlimited texting ... doesnt matter who or what we text. Hell, even updates from ESPN/Facebook/School Closings/Ect are covered.

Yea, see this is what I mean. My friends have unlimited txt and I have the unlimited data package so I don't see what the big difference is to just let them txt my email and we can communicate that way.

Upvote 0
My family plan doesn't have unlimited text, so I use Google Voice for texting. That's sent through data, so it's part of our data plan. I receive texts as Gmail, and that's push, so that's almost as fast as regular texting. Hopefully soon, Google Voice will enable push text messaging so I won't have to rely on Gmail.

I did set up the Google Voice bridging number with Friends & Family, so now we have unlimited outgoing minutes! Whoohoo.

Upvote 0
My family plan doesn't have unlimited text, so I use Google Voice for texting. That's sent through data, so it's part of our data plan. I receive texts as Gmail, and that's push, so that's almost as fast as regular texting. Hopefully soon, Google Voice will enable push text messaging so I won't have to rely on Gmail.

I did set up the Google Voice bridging number with Friends & Family, so now we have unlimited outgoing minutes! Whoohoo.

Sorry for the stupid question, but does push mean that google checks for new email every 5 mins? If it means something else, then how do I setup my email to push?

Upvote 0
Sorry for the stupid question, but does push mean that google checks for new email every 5 mins? If it means something else, then how do I setup my email to push?

Push means that as soon as the Gmail server receives email, it will pass along a signal to your Eris and you'll get the email right away. Gmail (not to be confused with the Mail program) on the Eris is automatically set to receive Gmail push.

It's not the same as checking for new email every 5 minutes. Gmail doesn't check for mail at a set interval on the Eris.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones