• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you still watch television?

How many watch television with subtitles?
Even English speakers tend do not annoucinate every little word.
I watch everything in subtitles.
Yeah, sometimes I'm tempted to! But when someone doesn't enunciate well, and I don't catch what they said, I'll just rewind and listen again. That usually does the trick.

Reactions: Milo Willamson
Upvote 0
I love to watch sports. Huge sports fan actually. If it isn't sports, it's history, science, or old movies. I haven't watched a regular TV show since Mash and Cheers died. The most recent movie release I watched was Gran Torino. I love old movies silent or otherwise. I will admit to being a real sucker for old musicals. I will not miss a Fred and Ginger vehicle though I've seen them all dozens of times. I love an old western as well as a WWII movie. Keaton was great but I'm a bigger Chaplin fan. Wayne and Stewart top my male actor list with Davis and Bergman my female list. My favorite movies were made in the thirties through forties for they were designed to entertain or to let you escape reality. I love TCM for allowing me to enjoy the movies I love.

Upvote 0
I love to watch sports. Huge sports fan actually. If it isn't sports, it's history, science, or old movies. I haven't watched a regular TV show since Mash and Cheers died. The most recent movie release I watched was Gran Torino. I love old movies silent or otherwise. I will admit to being a real sucker for old musicals. I will not miss a Fred and Ginger vehicle though I've seen them all dozens of times. I love an old western as well as a WWII movie. Keaton was great but I'm a bigger Chaplin fan. Wayne and Stewart top my male actor list with Davis and Bergman my female list. My favorite movies were made in the thirties through forties for they were designed to entertain or to let you escape reality. I love TCM for allowing me to enjoy the movies I love.

Used to watch football with my father, stopped watching since around highschool time, then went to the local football games, I was avid football local only. But stopped going to the games, and stopped watching football. The only thing these days is watching my friends bowl at the bowling alleyway.

Top Actors for me it is usually behind the camera, into like voice actors. Though someone did not answer my question in a tweet of his, it was only throughout what type of camera or phone he used. Intresting art like black and white, only 3D models of his face and the other voice actor.

Top on screen actors for me, it is usually the under dogs these days though.
Still it is fresh for TCM every once a while. I usually have the dvr but just ignor ehalf what I recorded since it is gets way too much though.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Anyone heard of Night Manager or even Little drummer Girl? You can watch them both on amc's web site.

Night Manager https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Manager_(TV_series)

Both I think in the same vein, but different story lines.

Little Drummer Girl - contains only three episodes. I tried to watch the first one, even on the web site, and I just left it be and forgot about it..

Upvote 0
The Night Manager and The Little Drummer Girl are recent BBC adaptations of John Le Carre novels (written decades apart, Drummer Girl being set in the secular middle eastern terrorism of the late 70s, Night Manager one of his post cold war novels where he has often written about private malfeasance as well as the state-sponsored espionage that formed his main theme for several decades).

I saw part of The Little Drummer Girl, which seemed relatively faithful to what I remember of the book. I've never read The Night Manager but know that they changed one of the main characters and the ending.

Upvote 0
The Night Manager and The Little Drummer Girl are recent BBC adaptations of John Le Carre novels (written decades apart, Drummer Girl being set in the secular middle eastern terrorism of the late 70s, Night Manager one of his post cold war novels where he has often written about private malfeasance as well as the state-sponsored espionage that formed his main theme for several decades).

I saw part of The Little Drummer Girl, which seemed relatively faithful to what I remember of the book. I've never read The Night Manager but know that they changed one of the main characters and the ending.

Why am I drawn to these type of shows ? :eek:

Upvote 0
I love to watch sports. Huge sports fan actually.
Me too, at least I used to be. When I was living in Dallas, I had both NBA League Pass (so I could see all the Lakers' games, and it was like watching from here in LA, so I got to see the legendary Chick Hearn call all the games), and NFL Sunday Ticket (I followed the 49ers back then, during the Steve Young/Jerry Rice era) on DirecTV. Now I don't actively keep up with or watch any sports. *shrug*

What are your favorite sports? Mine is definitely basketball; I love its fast pace--and dislike baseball for its lack of that! Who are 'your' teams?
If it isn't sports, it's history, science, or old movies. I haven't watched a regular TV show since Mash and Cheers died.
Those were both great, but there have been some great shows since then. :)
I love old movies silent or otherwise. I will admit to being a real sucker for old musicals. I will not miss a Fred and Ginger vehicle though I've seen them all dozens of times. I love an old western as well as a WWII movie. Keaton was great but I'm a bigger Chaplin fan.
I'm right there with you on the Astaire/Rogers movies; their dancing together was, of course, wonderful, but I think it's their onscreen chemistry that makes them so magical--and re-watchable. I loved Westerns as a kid, but never cared for war movies.

As for Charlie Chaplin, I think he was brilliant, in many ways, but he essentially played the same role over and over again. (I love The Kid, and never tire of it.) I just find Keaton more versatile, and his deadpan expression is priceless.
Wayne and Stewart top my male actor list with Davis and Bergman my female list. My favorite movies were made in the thirties through forties for they were designed to entertain or to let you escape reality. I love TCM for allowing me to enjoy the movies I love.
I hear you. The '30s and '40s are my favorite years, too, aside from silent movies. TCM is wonderful. I was really sad when Robert Osborne died. He was such a fixture there...his absence seemed surreal. :(

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Anyone heard of Night Manager or even Little drummer Girl? You can watch them both on amc's web site.

Night Manager https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Manager_(TV_series)

Both I think in the same vein, but different story lines.

Little Drummer Girl - contains only three episodes. I tried to watch the first one, even on the web site, and I just left it be and forgot about it..
I stopped watching AMC years ago, when they changed from an awesome, commercial-free repository of classic movies to a commercial-ridden...something else. I don't even include it in my channel guide any more! :eek:

Upvote 0
I stopped watching AMC years ago, when they changed from an awesome, commercial-free repository of classic movies to a commercial-ridden...something else. I don't even include it in my channel guide any more! :eek:
I only watch Better Call Saul on it these days, and Comic book men, basically an idiot show of comic book men working in a comic book store - their script writing can be weak a lot of times, there is some celebs here and there, nothing else .

I have Better Call Saul three volumes on dvd.
I pace myself watching anyways.

Upvote 0
What are your favorite sports? Mine is definitely basketball; I love its fast pace--and dislike baseball for its lack of that! Who are 'your' teams?

I was once a big Boston Celtic fan but I don't follow the NBA at all anymore. I do love basketball but on the college level. My favorite teams are my local college, Wichita State U, and I'm a huge fan of Kansas U. I don't follow college football but I'm an avid viewer of the NFL. My team again is my local team, the KC Chiefs. I've rooted for them since the franchise was moved to Kansas City. And to follow suit, I am a big fan of the KC Royals though I do agree with you that pro baseball moves way too slow. I love the Olympics be it summer or winter competition. I like tennis though I don't go out of my way to watch the sport. I enjoy college wrestling, though the coverage is hit and miss.
Soccer, hockey, lacrosse, golf, bowling, volleyball .... meh but I'll watch if I'm desperate.

Those were both great, but there have been some great shows since then. :)

I'm certain you are correct. Situation comedy is only entertaining if you follow the characters and are abreast of their personalities. I don't need any sort of drama or trauma. There seems to be enough of that in life without taking time to view it on TV. Reality shows... save me. I made a break from all that sort of programming and now I"m simply out of the loop.

I'm right there with you on the Astaire/Rogers movies; their dancing together was, of course, wonderful, but I think it's their onscreen chemistry that makes them so magical--and re-watchable. I loved Westerns as a kid, but never cared for war movies.

I enjoy most all dancing. Likely because I'm a clumsy dancer. As much as I love music you would think I could move my feet to the beat... NOPE. :) I enjoy WWII war movies and I can't tell you why. My father fought in that war but he never talked about it. I dislike most other war movies and I can't watch a Vietnam vehicle.

As for Charlie Chaplin, I think he was brilliant, in many ways, but he essentially played the same role over and over again. (I love The Kid, and never tire of it.) I just find Keaton more versatile, and his deadpan expression is priceless.

I agree that Chaplin was Chaplin in every movie. Much as John Wayne was Wane in ever movie. I guess I just like him. Perhaps he was outside of his box the most with the Great Dictator.

I hear you. The '30s and '40s are my favorite years, too, aside from silent movies. TCM is wonderful. I was really sad when Robert Osborne died. He was such a fixture there...his absence seemed surreal.

Yes, the loss of Robert Osborne was huge. That man loved the movies and had the ability to sincerely express just that in his introductions/back lot insight. His celebrity interviews are treasures. Thank you Robert for your immense contribution to the industry.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
It's not that unusual. I was married when I went to college, and knew quite a few fellow students who were also married.
We wait for a long time for our soul mate.
Known as slow starters hehe :)

Too bad my candle burnt out a lot of times, I am not that great of dating anyways :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones