• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you still watch television?

Denton! I remember Denton. That's a little north of Carrollton where I owned a house. And the tornado sirens!! I remember them scaring the shit out of my poor mom! She'd come to visit, and all of a sudden there's this horrible screeching alarm going off outside. Having never lived in the south, she had no idea what that was. Meanwhile, after reassuring her about what it was, I went outside and talked to one of my neighbors. We were both like "here we go again... :rolleyes: "

What a small world!!!! yup i remember those sirens going off!! Anyone not from tornado alley would think an attack is under way

Do you use Tubi or Pluto stream? They are both good for retro tv and other series. but again. i can't give up my live tv

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
What a small world!!!! yup i remember those sirens going off!! Anyone not from tornado alley would think an attack is under way
My mom said it reminded her of enemy attack alarms during WWII. Definitely scary if you're not up on what it is!

Do you use Tubi or Pluto stream? They are both good for retro tv and other series. but again. i can't give up my live tv
No, neither. But I record a lot of shows on MeTV. I know there are some other retro/classic TV stations out there, but they're all on dot channels, you know, like channel 2.2 or 56.1 or whatever, and DirecTV still isn't picking them all up. I wish they would.

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
My mom said it reminded her of enemy attack alarms during WWII. Definitely scary if you're not up on what it is!

No, neither. But I record a lot of shows on MeTV. I know there are some other retro/classic TV stations out there, but they're all on dot channels, you know, like channel 2.2 or 56.1 or whatever, and DirecTV still isn't picking them all up. I wish they would.
Ah yes METV is my favorite! I practically live on METV! Does your DirecTV lineup include "FE-TV"?

Upvote 0
Ah yes METV is my favorite! I practically live on METV! Does your DirecTV lineup include "FE-TV"?
FETV? Offhand, I don't know. I can look, though...

Yes, and I already knew that! It's on channel 323, and I recently started recording "Hazel" and "Father Knows Best" on it--but deleted without watching. I watched the first episode of FKB and just didn't feel like following through right now. But they're still in my queue so when the mood strikes, I'll watch them. FETV is showing quite a few classics, including "The Patty Duke Show."

Last edited:
Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
FETV? Offhand, I don't know. I can look, though...

Yes, and I already knew that! It's on channel 323, and I recently started recording "Hazel" and "Father Knows Best" on it--but deleted without watching. I watched the first episode of FKB and just didn't feel like following through right now. But they're still in my queue so when the mood strikes, I'll watch them. FETV is showing quite a few classics, including "The Patty Duke Show."

They have a good lineup. I can't remember which channel has Leave It To Beaver but i like that one too :)

I like to see if Beverly Hillbillies are on one of the channels. ill run a key word search and find out.

Upvote 0
They have a good lineup. I can't remember which channel has Leave It To Beaver but i like that one too :)
I know! I know! MeTV!! I record two episodes daily from it. And guess where else? FETV!! As I was scrolling through the guide to see what else was there, I noticed LITB.

Do you ever watch classics on more than one channel? I do. Especially "I Love Lucy" because I know each episode inside-out. Geesh, the way they chop them up! Each station shows a different version, all of which have been edited WAY DOWN from their original airtimes. By watching the same episode on different channels, you'll find 'hidden' gems you never knew about. TVLand is, hands-down, the WORST when it comes to editing. They leave out entire segments, even segments that set up the rest of an episode or explain some important point that happens later. I removed it from my guide so I won't even be TEMPTED to record anything!

I like to see if Beverly Hillbillies are on one of the channels. ill run a key word search and find out.
Look no further--it's on FETV, too. In fact, it's airing right now. :)

Upvote 0
I agree totally about TVLand! They chop out a lot of episodes and fills up tons ?f ads in-between breaks. i timed a fifteen-minute span of nothing but commercials once and finally just switched the channel from tvland to something else, lol .

Ive done the same as you where i notice the same episode showing on two channels. I'll have to check next time for extra scenes i didn't see between stations.

One of my favs is Friends where they're playing the same storyline between two channels. usually one channel is an episode ahead of the other.

Upvote 0
I'm happy to hear you're in the 'watch different versions' camp, Rico! It's amazing what you 'find' when you do that.

I have the entire "I Love Lucy" series on DVDs. Uncut, original, unadulterated. *NO* station I'm aware of airs them in their entirety. I asked MeTV once why they don't air shows uncut, and just let them start/end at off times. For example, start at 9:00am and end at 9:40am, which would allow 10 minutes for additional breaks not already accounted for in the original episode. They thanked me for the suggestion... *sigh*

I'm a heavy contributor on IMDb, and sometimes I'll dual-watch an episode for purposes of finding things I can add. Like an episode of "The Andy Griffith Show" I did recently. I'd recorded it on two different channels, then watched each one up until a certain point, then switched to the other and watched up to the same point, etc. In this specific episode, MeTV completely cut out a scene where Andy and Barney have a discussion about another character--and by leaving it out, what happens next MAKES NO SENSE. :eek:

Upvote 0
We used to have the same Lucy DVD set. lost them in a house fire awhile ago. Regarding Andy Griffith Show, my favorite episode is the one about the "neighborhood haunted houses" that turned out to be Otis and his moonshine buddies spooking anyone away from their hidden still.

i used to read reviews on IMdb. haven't made it back to so many of sites i used to regularly browse. i may someday soon.

Upvote 0
You don't know how your brain changes when you've been off TV for a year.
We used to as a family would do this idea of "lent" of an ex-methodist myself, I would ponder on sacrificing T.V. for itself, no kidding, same idea as playing old school video games. It just messes with you in a way.

Upvote 0
I have been binge watching the Netflix series The guardians of justice , for those of you who haven't seen it it's basically a six part satire series poking fun at both Marvel and DC comic characters and other characters such as John Rambo. It's low budget, horrible acting it's something you would expect a couple of drunk college students to throw together, and yet it's a slow motion train wreck I can't stop watching or laughing at

Upvote 0
I watch what i can stream (mainly 60s classic TV like the Andy Griffith Show) or find on physical media. I've recently begun expanding my collection of discs, VHS tapes. I'm finding DVDs for $2 which is a first because up till recently you had to pay $9 for a used, beat up DVD at a Goodwill. So now I'm trying to convert my digital purchases to physical media so I don't need internet or an 'update' to keep playing.

I'm probably the youngest person who rocks 8-tracks as well.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones