• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does/will jelly bean slow down or adversely affect Galaxy S2?

mjschmidt

Android Expert
Jun 27, 2009
In my house.
A friend of mine was thinking about getting an S2 as his free upgrade from his provider. his wife currently has an S2.

He wanted to know about getting Jelly Bean for the S2. I've pointed him to the threads on this forum that talk about it being scheduled for Nov. (We're in Canada).

He says his wife's S2 shows a pending update, but not what it is. He says he is afraid to run the update because an employee in one of the phone stores told him it would make her S2 run slower than on Gingerbread.

Is there any truth to this? I'm trying a google search to look for info, but sometimes it's faster, and more informative, to ask all y'all.

there are numerous JB Rom's out there, have dabbled with a couple, and there is no adverse effect on speed. if anything they were quicker/punchier than gingerbread/ICS.

i'm sure employee's of phone stores, who are likely on a bonus, will be keen to get us all on more expensive/newer phones....

Upvote 0
From my experience on custom roms, jelly bean is slicker than ice cream sandwich, but I've also not had any problems with ics, when I was on gingerbread stock, I felt ics was slicker and faster and personally I've never felt the need to go back!

I can't wait for Sammy to update to jelly bean so that things run even smoother in custom roms :)

If you have the chance, when upgrading phones, if maybe try for the s3, or nexus 4 if available, but if your wife has s2, and it suits you.....

I also believe that the original issues with ics have been sorted, so it's probably well worth the update :)

Upvote 0
Jelly Bean runs absolutely great on my S2. I have the unofficial Samsung build, discussed in this thread:http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/648723-jelly-bean-firmware-unofficial-release.html
Also, battery life seems to have improved, tho not by much.
GPS is MUCH better than before.
The camera app is way better.
They even improved on the FM radio player. You van now actually record (in WAV format).
The list of improvements goes on and on.
And up till now (knock on wood), zero freezes or random reboots...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones