• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Doing a Complete Backup

I have a Dell Streak 7 and I was wondering if there was / is a good way to do a complete backup of my programs? I have to send the device back to Dell (it is running very slow and sometimes locks up on me).

I have the Lookout Premium but I think that only backs up data. I moved as many programs that I could to the SD card in hopes that might help some.

I found a few old threads but they seem to deal with Motorola. Getting help from T-Mobile and Dell is pretty difficult to say the least.

I did purchase Nero 10 (on the advice of Dell). Actually, I was on the phone with them asking them how I could copy everything over. They said I needed to purchase Nero 10. After I made the purchase, they then said they could no longer help me because I was using a third party software.

When I hook the Streak 7 into the computer, I don't see both of the drives. There is an option to "unmount internal tablet storage", but before doing that, I thought maybe someone might have some ideas on here.

Thank you!

Without rooting I don't think you will be able to back up the app data. You can use apps like mybackup pro to backup some of it but it will not backup everything. Moving apps to the SD card won't really help you will still need to reinstall them on the new device. If you choose to root you can make a backup of all your app data, you could even make a backup of your device entirely but I am not sure of the way to root it and if that will involve a factory reset, not to mention it will also void the manufacturer's warranty. If morals of warrantys don't bother you then you can likely root, make the backups, unroot, and send it back but again I am not sure of the rooting method and it may require a factory reset.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I have a friend who rooted his device and he offered to do that as well. But since I am sending it back to Dell for repair / a new one, I don't think I will do that.

I'll just go to My Market Account and save each HTML page so that I have those programs.

You could install ShareMyApps. You can email yourself a list of your apps. The email will contains the Market web page links.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mattlary.shareMyApps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones