• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Done with Android. Switching to Iphone 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, it wasnt internal damage, many TB others began experiencing many of the same issues at that time. For some the OTA fixed it for others it did not. Honestly, for the price we paid for our phones and for the amount of our monthly bill, Verizon has been extremely unreasonable. We have gone to them multiple times with our issues and they keep telling us the same thing, a fix is coming. The same thing we have been hearing since the beginning of April.

You could always install a custom ROM if you cant wait for official fix. ^_^

Upvote 0
Some advice, do you the proper research before purchasing any new piece of hardware. Just because you saw a commercial and thought it was cool doesn't mean it was good. I think everyone here would agree that the best phones will sell themselves. At least when it comes to those in the know or knowledge of what features and qualities to look for in a phone. Sorry to hear that you're not a fan of Android OS anymore man but I think you will end up regretting it when you have limited amount of customization and lack of diversity in the app store.

One or two bad experiences with phones doesn't make Android bad in anyway. There is a reason why Apple is suing the crap out of Android manufacturers. They're threatened by the competition and that speaks volumes.

Reactions: Dr_Wolf84
Upvote 0
Some advice, do you the proper research before purchasing any new piece of hardware. Just because you saw a commercial and thought it was cool doesn't mean it was good. I think everyone here would agree that the best phones will sell themselves. At least when it comes to those in the know or knowledge of what features and qualities to look for in a phone. Sorry to hear that you're not a fan of Android OS anymore man but I think you will end up regretting it when you have limited amount of customization and lack of diversity in the app store.

One or two bad experiences with phones doesn't make Android bad in anyway. There is a reason why Apple is suing the crap out of Android manufacturers. They're threatened by the competition and that speaks volumes.

Well put.

Upvote 0
Apple is more reliable because they dont innovate. Sure they call themselves innovators. Whatever. Everything that comes out on their phones are stuff that has been around for years. iPhone 4 finally got Facetime! Nokia phones have being doing that for what, 7 years? Ooooh, they finally got multitasking: again, Nokia phones have been there, done that, for the past 7 years. As for the other stuff? They're copying from Android.

They're reliable because they dont bring anything new to the market (the last new thing they brought was the interface, about the time the first iPhone came out). They're reliable because they get tried and tested stuff, slap it onto their phone and call it new. And market it very well. But they're reliable.

Android is for the geeks who look at something new, and say: "I dont care if we're not fully optimized! I dont care if it will cost! I dont care! I want that thing because its new and powerful! I want that quad-core!" Not much different from people who say "I dont care what you say, I want an iPhone".

Thing is, the Droid army wants to live on the cutting edge, want to get the latest and greatest that technology has to offer. The iSheep on the other hand are herded by Apple, who tells them: No, I dont think you need it yet, so I wont give it to you.

There will be no epic army of geek rebels screaming their battlecry "Today is a good day to customize!" as they advance on the iPhone Empire in their posh castle, barrels of boiling oil poised over the North Wall. Wow, I got a little too into that, haha.

Anyway, my point is they are just phones. They are not our babies that we have to prove which is better because the one that falls short must be sacrificed to an unmerciful wildebeest deity. Just be happy with whatever device you choose without hating on the choices of others. That is for everyone.

Reactions: Sak01 and dellbx
Upvote 0
Wow, you are just hating on people left and right. It is not a war. There will be no epic army of geek rebels screaming their battlecry "Today is a good day to customize!" as they advance on the iPhone Empire in their posh castle, barrels of boiling oil poised over the North Wall. Wow, I got a little too into that, haha.

Anyway, my point is they are just phones. They are not your babies that you have to prove which is better because the one that falls short must be sacrificed to an unmerciful wildebeest deity. Just be happy with whatever device you choose without hating on the choices of others. That is for everyone.

No I am not hating, I am just stating facts. In fact some people actually think Apple invented the whole smartphone and apps concept just because they market well, but truth is truth, however bluntly I put it. Apple is just more stable in general because they put well established, and well tested features on their phones, no matter how outdated these capabilities or hardware features may be compared to the latest cutting edge Android. Thats what you buy from them in exchange for the lack of customizations and "individualism" in their phones: Their units are so much alike and with specs almost equal only to mid-range Androids, yet are optimized so well that they rival some of the higher end Droids in terms of performance and quality. But that doesnt change the fact that I wont like to use Apple products. Give me one for free and likely as not I'd sell it to get a Droid. LOL.

Upvote 0
I guess it's time for this again ....

6dfc88078975297819ba9df9cc234446_view.jpg

Upvote 0
I guess it's time for this again ....

6dfc88078975297819ba9df9cc234446_view.jpg

LOL. I dont see myself as an Einstein, nor do see iPhone users as people of the darkside (well some of them anyway), but where I am, Android users are the ones who tinker a lot, not only with phones but with almost everything, while iPhone users are the ones who, well, just leave it in the state they bought it in, not much tinkering. Maybe I used the word "geek" incorrectly. English isnt my first language after all. But by my definition (at least our definition culturally) is that someone who tinkers a lot on things is considered a "geek" already.

Upvote 0
All I can say is I had a droid 1 for 2 yrs and it froze on me maybe 3 times. I have fiends with iphones and they all have had theirs freeze up at least as many times as mine, heck the iphone 3 friend had his freeze up nearly weekly. it happens. I have a few friends that switched from iphone to android for various reasons, dropped calls, lower cost plans etc. They all loved their iphones but after a week they all said they would never go back.

I havent kept track of ios but a yr ago it didnt support many of the tools that my droid was capable of. its voice commands were either lacking or non existent, some issue with skype. paying for a navigation that was as capable as google nav and so forth. I really dislike itunes and being forced to backup or sync using their proprietary format. I would much prefer to backup as the actual file type.

Basically whatever makes you happy, have fun with your iphone, but if you use it as a tool make sure the phone can actually do what you need to do, like near field if need it...

Upvote 0
It's easy for a bad experience to cast a dark cloud over anything. There are many people who refuse to buy Samsung phones, Ford cars, Sherwin Williams paint, Ikea furniture and even Apple products just because they had issues with a product they purchased. However, assuming an entire product line or brand is flawed because of one bad experience is a rather narrow view of things. Any manufactured product will have a few clunkers that sneak out to the consumer.

Truth is Apple has had many more than one issue over the various models of iPhone. The antenna problem was just the most widely discussed. They've had their share of screen problems, battery issues, incompatibilities and glitches. A few minutes in any iPhone support forum will demonstrate that.

Apple has three things going for it ... a very loyal and forgiving user base, a generous return/repair/replacement policy and a very good marketing team always at the ready to deflect responsibility or downplay the issue .

That, and a fanatical devotion to the pope .... four, FOUR things ... now bring out the comfy chair.

The difference is that Apple has the technical capacity to have everything function, and function perfectly, on their "older devices". I could care-less about Flash, as I rarely, if ever, watch flash on my Android device. Honestly, more than half the time I try to watch Flash on my D2, it freezes, and I have to kill the app via Settings.

Apple use the litmus paper test for water damage and have it in crazy places, so any sweat, moisture from using your phone outdoors according to Apple is water damaged and your screwed and they know this just by looking on the outside and don't look on the inside.

Itunes has loads of bugged apps or misleading app info. There seems to be very little Quality control and its buyer beware, at least Android gives you a 15 min refund policy.

First and foremost, every manufacturer has litmus' throughout their phones. About a year ago, I was a certified Motorola, Samsung, UTStarcom, and HTC technician. I worked on phones daily, and I can assure you, Apple's litmus selection is no different than most other manufacturers.

Secondly, you, being an Android user, should not say anything about quality control for app's. The Market has quality control, but it's after it's already infected numerous phones and they receive information about it.

I can't argue about the 15 minute refund policy, other than the fact 15 minutes isn't long enough to properly test an app, but apparently Apple doesn't offer a refund at all.

Upvote 0
The difference is that Apple has the technical capacity to have everything function, and function perfectly, on their "older devices".

Ask any 3GS user who tried to upgrade to iOS 4 when it was released to see if they would agree with that statement and then ask yourself why Apple conceded a downgrade option for those users.

Apple has draconian control over the iOS ecosystem to minimize vectors for potential problems, but they do not offer even close to everything and what they do provide is not perfect by any definition of the word.

I could care-less about Flash, as I rarely, if ever, watch flash on my Android device. Honestly, more than half the time I try to watch Flash on my D2, it freezes, and I have to kill the app via Settings.

That's the beauty of it. You can chose not to load Flash content and be content without having those decisions made for you.

Upvote 0
No I am not hating, I am just stating facts. In fact some people actually think Apple invented the whole smartphone and apps concept just because they market well, but truth is truth, however bluntly I put it. Apple is just more stable in general because they put well established, and well tested features on their phones, no matter how outdated these capabilities or hardware features may be compared to the latest cutting edge Android. Thats what you buy from them in exchange for the lack of customizations and "individualism" in their phones: Their units are so much alike and with specs almost equal only to mid-range Androids, yet are optimized so well that they rival some of the higher end Droids in terms of performance and quality. But that doesnt change the fact that I wont like to use Apple products. Give me one for free and likely as not I'd sell it to get a Droid. LOL.

Yes, people like this can be frustrating but don't let them get you all roweled up over nothing. If they choose an inferior device, let them. They have to live with the draw back. You can explain why your device is better til' you're red in the face, but sometimes that simply doesn't do any good.

-Regards, IOWA.

Upvote 0
I wish you the best in all you do. Honestly I love my android phone. I have an OG droid still rockin' (on my desk at the moment actually), and I have recommended both Android and iPhone's to people who ask me. The big thing is you have to decide what you want in a smartphone. If you're slightly tech savy and interested in spending hours (days) on end digging into the guts and seeing just what you can do for no other reason that to see if you can do it, get an Android phone. If you want something you can tweet/facebook/surf the net, make phone calls on, and play some games on..... get an iPhone whatever 4, 5, 3. It's all up to you. Either way we all (for the most part) would like to hear back from you on your experiance and what you think. And if you decide you miss Android and want to come back you are most welcome, just be prepared for a little good natured ribbing. ;)

Upvote 0
If they choose an inferior device, let them.

Exactly. And it may be only inferior to us because it doesn't do enough stuff/have a lot of power. They may want something that's easy to use to make calls texts and play angry birds.

I don't want everyone having the same stuff as me.

If you drive a truck, isn't it a nice feeling to sometimes be able to hop a curb and get around some stuck traffic? If you drive a motorcycle, isn't it nice to find a tiny spot to park when no one else can? If you ride around in a limo isn't it nice to know drunken party girls are out there somewhere nearby who'll gladly hop in with you?

In a world full of nothing but trucks, or nothing but bikes or nothing but limos none of these little perks apply anymore.

In a world of nothing but android phones they'll stop developing new stuff, why would they need to? Apple seems to have mistakenly thought already the smartphone world was going to be nothing but iphone.

Upvote 0
This thread reminded me how much I hate fanboys of any kind.

Those who have had objective opinions, I salute you.

Both platforms are great. The iPhone is not a "fashion" device. It is truly a powerful phone with a lot of capabilities. Granted, it's hardware capabilities are not as powerful as some Android Phones (isn't the Galaxy S2 the most powerful phone in the market right now?), and sure, Apple does put a lot of limitations, but the way things have worked out in that company ever since the iPhone was released had assured iOS becomes a wonderful and stable OS.

Personally, I like to do mobile development so I own both an iPhone 4 and a Samsung Galaxy S2. Both are truly wonderful devices and they have their advantages and disadvantages. In terms of Hardware capabilities, the S2 brooms the floor with the iPhone. In terms of stability, the iPhone brooms the floor with the S2. Aesthetically speaking, the iPhone is "prettier" than the S2, both in terms of UI and hardware appearance (or that's my opinion, anyways). One thing I really disliked about the S2 is that it came with "out of the box" problems and it took me a while to fix them, like my Wi-Fi problems and 3G problems that no one had any idea of what was going on. With the iPhone, it is very unlikely you will run with problems the moment you decide to play with your new toy. Although I doubt it happens a lot with Android, it certainly was a first bad impression of the OS for me since the S2 is my first Android.
I could make a thousand of other comparisons too.

Android of course, has the advantage (and disadvantage; I like to say is a double-edged sword) of being very open, and at least for us devs (or wanna be devs :p), it's very fun to mess with all the tools we are given. The closed iOS ecosystem is wonderful, but unless you make apps for jailbroken devices, you cannot explode the private frameworks to their full potential. For what I have seen so far, you can do whatever you want with Android so far.

One thing I would love to see in iOS is official support for widgets. That's one thing I absolutely love from Android.

Both are great devices, they really are. If I had to keep one and just one, I would keep the iPhone; all the "it's a fashion device" and "it's only for games" comments have completely ignored the fact that the iPhone can be jailbroken (for those who don't know the term, think on it as the equivalent of rooting, but it's not exactly the same thing), and once you have it "free from it's jail", it can do as much as an Android phone, and also, that it has a great selection of apps. There is an "App Store" for every smartphone in the planet, you know.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones