• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dont love your Droid X? Trying to wait until the Holidays for a new phone... only for the curious

Orly? I'm not trying to be a dick, but I want proof lol.

^^^This

Cyanogen is already working on it and Pete has a phone to (another great Dev). It will likely take longer, but it will get done....

As to the OP, I really don't see a problem with a thread like this, but I think it was posted in the wrong area. It would be better to have posted in one of the General areas (Android Lounge or Verizon Wireless perhaps)? Maybe a mod will move it...

Upvote 0
i love these guys(op)

So this guy basically came in here to say that he is going to the worst coverage in the nation on a touchwiz(LOL) phone?

Honestly, if the op actually did any research...then he would have realised that his phone and service are subpar.

If you were really looking for a "TOP tier" phone then you should look at the GALAXY S. That phone is the original, UNGIMPED version. Not the fascinate, or the captivate, or the lowly vibrant with the worst network.

If you were really worried about everything you "fluffed" in the opening post, then you would get a galaxy s and throw it on the sprint or verizon network.

your turn, DOON.

JUSTIFY away
or
just fly away to the vibrant section. ;)

Upvote 0
The UI can be changed, all you would have to do is throw Launcher Pro or ADW over it and you'd never see it, or you can load a custom ROM on the Samsung phone that just has vanilla Android ;).

Except people like me (who are the overwhelming majority of owners) don't care about rooting, changing roms, or messing with the phone in that sense. Therefore the product that Samsung is releasing is fugly and not worth purchasing due to that reason.

Upvote 0
And you give up the 8mp camera for a measly 5mp camera.

Like everyone else here has mentioned, megapixels dont define image quality. I think the pictures from the X's camera look great for a phone camera, but I bet the Facinate's pics will look just as good.

And you give up the sexiness of the X for the look-a-likeness of the Fascinate to the iSuck.I'm sorry, but the Fascinate looks way too much like the iPhone.
I absolutely hate crApple, and I hate the i*hone. When I first saw the Galaxy S with its home button in the middle it looked too much like the i*hone to me too and I wrote it off for that reason. Luckily the U.S. versions have the familiar 4 touch buttons instead. I still agree that the X is the better looking phone, but only marginally because of the camera hump on the X. I've convinced myself that the camera hump is ok, but the phone would be soooooo much more appealing without it.

Smaller screen, smaller camera, looks like the iPhone....no thanks. Plus Samsung's reputation with mobile devices isn't that great either.
Smaller screen? Yes, but only by .3 inches and it's a better screen that uses less battery.
Smaller camera? :rolleyes:, not really.
Looks like the i*hone? The European version does for sure, but the U.S. version is different.

Oh, and the X will be rooted. They're close now. Won't be much longer.
I've been following Koush, Birdman, and Pete. I have no doubt that the X will be rooted, but I'm not so sure about the bootloader, it's locked pretty good. If you want to compare these phones to the i*hone, this is a pretty good thing to compare ;). The Galaxy is already rooted and has custom ROMs available (thanks to a bootloader that isnt encrypted) Dont get me wrong, I like the X, I think its a great phone, but I dont want Sanjay Jha telling me what I can do with my phone any more than I want Steve Jobs telling me what I can do with my phone.

P.S. If you look into it a little, Moto doesnt have a great rep with smartphones either.

Upvote 0
i love these guys(op)

So this guy basically came in here to say that he is going to the worst coverage in the nation on a touchwiz(LOL) phone?

Honestly, if the op actually did any research...then he would have realised that his phone and service are subpar.

If you were really looking for a "TOP tier" phone then you should look at the GALAXY S. That phone is the original, UNGIMPED version. Not the fascinate, or the captivate, or the lowly vibrant with the worst network.

If you were really worried about everything you "fluffed" in the opening post, then you would get a galaxy s and throw it on the sprint or verizon network.

your turn, DOON.

JUSTIFY away
or
just fly away to the vibrant section. ;)

I would have thought 245 posts would have helped you develop a little more maturity!

beyond that... here is the issue: time and money. The original post was a simple time/money solution for those that want no contract until the holidays. and my friends it is a GOOD deal. and it IS and ANDROID phone. I dont see how some people are so device biased over a cell phone! wow.

and to you who say... "i will not root, root is for the few not the many" Well, really, what is the difference between a locked down android phone and a locked down iphone? People, many have come in here and tried to establish "superiority" via megapixels, CPU, the shell of the phone. The fact is that I am not interested in a pissing contest over a cell phone. <- That is just laughable to me! I am not interested in allying myself with mega corporations or finding identity in my power to consume goods.

What I am interested in is solutions to problems. I had a problem and I found a good solution that also aligns with my philosophical view of what I think a device out to be. I simply shared that solution. What I did was find a great deal on a device with a cutting edge CPU and GPU, with a cutting edge screen, with a two step root process that allows me to do as I please with a device I own outright. Oh, and the month to month service is cheaper then what I had before... solution to problem. Simple.

Now for those that want to draw a little line and make an "us vs them" out of two phones that are on the same "side" be my guest! Have a blast dude!

Ciao Droid Phans

Upvote 0
I also will not argue what i understand to be superior about the galaxy. That would not be appropriate here. But I do think people should check it out. The video out solution is better than HDMI, screen tech, GPU, etc...

I agree that the casing looks iCrap-ish... but as long as the OS is not the iOS I am a happy man.

Upvote 0
doon( thats noob backwards :)):like i said justify away. vibrant is crap, tmobile is crap. get the galaxy s if you want a high end phone. Coming in here saying youre going for a vibrant on tmobile is a joke, and a very bad one at that. If you want to save money, get a prepaid. Unfortunately, your ground rules and then your actions dont align themselves. Like i said justify away and grab at anything you can.

You can fluff the moon and i wouldnt believe a word you say.

regarding my post count:

I actually offer advice to people here who are having issues and malfunctions...hey look some of them even thanked me!!! Unlike YOU, im not here to start pointless threads to stroke my own ego and justify my insecurities.

LIKe i i said before, grab at anything in the air and justify away.

Upvote 0
I would have thought 245 posts would have helped you develop a little more maturity!

beyond that... here is the issue: time and money. The original post was a simple time/money solution for those that want no contract until the holidays. and my friends it is a GOOD deal. and it IS and ANDROID phone. I dont see how some people are so device biased over a cell phone! wow.

and to you who say... "i will not root, root is for the few not the many" Well, really, what is the difference between a locked down android phone and a locked down iphone? People, many have come in here and tried to establish "superiority" via megapixels, CPU, the shell of the phone. The fact is that I am not interested in a pissing contest over a cell phone. <- That is just laughable to me! I am not interested in allying myself with mega corporations or finding identity in my power to consume goods.

What I am interested in is solutions to problems. I had a problem and I found a good solution that also aligns with my philosophical view of what I think a device out to be. I simply shared that solution. What I did was find a great deal on a device with a cutting edge CPU and GPU, with a cutting edge screen, with a two step root process that allows me to do as I please with a device I own outright. Oh, and the month to month service is cheaper then what I had before... solution to problem. Simple.

Now for those that want to draw a little line and make an "us vs them" out of two phones that are on the same "side" be my guest! Have a blast dude!

Ciao Droid Phans

Agreed. Some people think the Droid X section, or whatever section they happen to "belong to" is only for the worshiping of their device. Any thread that contradicts the awesomeness of the phone is a personal attack on them, and should be moved away to another section. It is pretty hilarious, this knee jerk reaction, which incidentally is the same herd mentality we point to Apple users and laugh.

Upvote 0
doon( thats noob backwards :)):like i said justify away. vibrant is crap, tmobile is crap. get the galaxy s if you want a high end phone. Coming in here saying youre going for a vibrant on tmobile is a joke, and a very bad one at that. If you want to save money, get a prepaid. Unfortunately, your ground rules and then your actions dont align themselves. Like i said justify away and grab at anything you can.

You can fluff the moon and i wouldnt believe a word you say.

regarding my post count:

I actually offer advice to people here who are having issues and malfunctions...hey look some of them even thanked me!!! Unlike YOU, im not here to start pointless threads to stroke my own ego and justify my insecurities.

LIKe i i said before, grab at anything in the air and justify away.

"Issues and malfunctions"... couldn't have said it better myself! :)

have fun with your phone brother!

Upvote 0
Agreed. Some people think the Droid X section, or whatever section they happen to "belong to" is only for the worshiping of their device. Any thread that contradicts the awesomeness of the phone is a personal attack on them, and should be moved away to another section. It is pretty hilarious, this knee jerk reaction, which incidentally is the same herd mentality we point to Apple users and laugh.

This is what I am talking about!

Upvote 0
and what i am talking about is going into a samsung galaxy thread, and saying its not that good and then saying how im going to buy a droid eris and then mow my lawn and then wash my car and then and then and then and then. you same people do the same thing over and over and over.

I respond to see the level of intelligence it takes to make a thread as this.

Upvote 0
Indeed! They all sport Android 2.1 (except my Droid 1 with 2.2). In my opinion, these 2 phones are pretty close as far as hardware goes. To me the choice comes down to the X's locked bootloader issue. I would say that if you're not into rooting and using custom ROMs that the X would be the better choice by far, but if you are into hacking your device, the Sammy will most likely have more potential.

Upvote 0
i think doon is a appropriate name for you, it describes the logic behind you decisons, noob.

thats just my opinion, thoug. im going to make a thread about it and my life. online. so strangers can like me / sarcasm

have fun on tmob boon

is this the game where we see who posts last? if so, you can win. :)

ok, one more thing about cell phone deals. IF any of you EVER in your lives change to another service provider... Verizon has this deal that if you come back within 90 days they call it a "win back" and you get to restart where you left off. That means you get your new every two discount reinstated and any other perks. There also will be no activation fee on the new phone. This works really well with buying from costco! Just something to think about for the future.

again, take care all.

Upvote 0
For those that just didnt like the touchwiz interface (which includes me) here is the Galaxy S with ADW Launcher installed from the market.
Another plus for the Sammy is the notification bar is black out of the box (it's a plus to me anyway)
DSC00096-1.jpg
DSC00094-1.jpg

Upvote 0
For those that just didnt like the touchwiz interface (which includes me) here is the Galaxy S with ADW Launcher installed from the market.
Another plus for the Sammy is the notification bar is black out of the box (it's a plus to me anyway)
DSC00096-1.jpg
DSC00094-1.jpg

To me it still looks like an uglier iphone, but I know that is just my personal opinion. And the last two phones I have had were HTC and had the black notification bar, I have been missing the white and was excited to get it back.:D

Upvote 0
To me it still looks like an uglier iphone, but I know that is just my personal opinion. And the last two phones I have had were HTC and had the black notification bar, I have been missing the white and was excited to get it back.:D
The best thing about about Android is that we actually have choices :D. There's a form factor to suit just about about anybodys tastes. I do still agree with you that the X is a better looking phone too, but I tend to go for function over form and I would rather have the phone that resembles the i*hone in appearance, rather than one that resembles the i*hones closed system. The X is a great phone, and as long as you're ok with letting Moto dictate how you can use it then you're good to go.

Upvote 0
The best thing about about Android is that we actually have choices :D. There's a form factor to suit just about about anybodys tastes. I do still agree with you that the X is a better looking phone too, but I tend to go for function over form and I would rather have the phone that resembles the i*hone in appearance, rather than one that resembles the i*hones closed system. The X is a great phone, and as long as you're ok with letting Moto dictate how you can use it then you're good to go.

i think this is well said. i really like supporting phones that are open.

about the look of the galaxy: I actually like that the simplicity of the design. There is almost nothing to it... it is simply a window into the internet, texting, etc. I really like that about the phone. but the best part is what's inside - Freedom!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones