• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Double Message Notifications

Hello everyone,

Recently, I've been receiving two message notifications for every message that comes in. The usual way is to see a preview of the message at the top of the screen as a pop-up.

But, I also receive a "X sent a new message" generic notification that comes in right before or right after the usual way to see messages. I'd like to make this one go away, as it often blocks me from being able to see the pop-up version of the message text. But, I am unsure what to do. I've messed with general notification settings and the settings in both the Messenger app and the Messages app where the problem is occurring. Various attempts at fixes do not produce a result.

This is happening on a Galaxy J7 Sky Pro running Android 6.0.1, if that helps.

Thank you for your time.

Hello everyone,

Recently, I've been receiving two message notifications for every message that comes in. The usual way is to see a preview of the message at the top of the screen as a pop-up.

But, I also receive a "X sent a new message" generic notification that comes in right before or right after the usual way to see messages. I'd like to make this one go away, as it often blocks me from being able to see the pop-up version of the message text. But, I am unsure what to do. I've messed with general notification settings and the settings in both the Messenger app and the Messages app where the problem is occurring. Various attempts at fixes do not produce a result.

This is happening on a Galaxy J7 Sky Pro running Android 6.0.1, if that helps.

Thank you for your time.

Did you recently install a third party messaging app to try out like signal or SMS Organizer? Perhaps two separate apps are notifying you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones