• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root DOWNGRADE FAIL 3 times!

Switching to a new computer may help as you haven't done anything on it. All else fails uninstall everything and start back over from the beginning with everything disabled temporarily (AV, firewall). Sometimes if you even miss uninstalling one thing it can leave you with the same end result. I have had problems getting devices to connect to my laptop sometimes so try a PC. Heck I had a problem with my camera and it didn't work until I reinstalled windows. I wouldn't go that far but you never know.

Alright thanks for the reply. I will try it in my desktop and will disable everything that you said

Upvote 0
It depends on your av settings. Some people set their av to automatically get rid of files that are considered unsafe. Really another few things to get to the root of the problem. What operating system are you running? What usb slots are you using, have you tried changing them? Have you tried it on other computers? Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers, resetting the computer between installs? Are all of your permissions right? Delete everything and re-download the files. When a problem occurs it could be so many little things that make a difference. I made a game a few years ago and someone was having problems installing it, and it was as simple as he didn't have wright access to the drive he was installing (was a work computer). The more information you give us the better we might be able to help.

im using xp pro 32-bit.using the motherboard usb directly in the back,havnt tried any others.i uninstalled every driver and program after every try.i HAVE NOT tried to reset my computer,it hasnt asked me to restart so i didnt even try.i also did NOT try to totally disable my AV or any of my firewalls..do you recommend i try this again with all AV and firewall off?? thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0
im using xp pro 32-bit.using the motherboard usb directly in the back,havnt tried any others.i uninstalled every driver and program after every try.i HAVE NOT tried to reset my computer,it hasnt asked me to restart so i didnt even try.i also did NOT try to totally disable my AV or any of my firewalls..do you recommend i try this again with all AV and firewall off?? thanks again for your help!

I don't have this phone yet so I don't have an exact fix for you. They were just suggestions that work with other devices. If you keep doing things the same way you can only get the same results. Do something different each time you try it. Another person said they had to return their phone when it was having the same errors and the new phone worked with andy's methods so maybe thats what you have to do. http://androidforums.com/2243729-post90.html I hope it doesn't come to that. Another option just to get a working phone is to use the lg updater like it was suggested earlier. It doesn't root your phone but it makes it usable. I will be getting my phone in a few days so if I suffer from the same errors I might be able to help then. Really wish I could help more.

Upvote 0
I don't have this phone yet so I don't have an exact fix for you. They were just suggestions that work with other devices. If you keep doing things the same way you can only get the same results. Do something different each time you try it. Another person said they had to return their phone when it was having the same errors and the new phone worked with andy's methods so maybe thats what you have to do. http://androidforums.com/2243729-post90.html I hope it doesn't come to that. Another option just to get a working phone is to use the lg updater like it was suggested earlier. It doesn't root your phone but it makes it usable. I will be getting my phone in a few days so if I suffer from the same errors I might be able to help then. Really wish I could help more.

thanks for all the info.i DID indeed just try it again but this time with my AV disabled and also turned off the microsoft firewall...still got the exact same problem with the screen black..but the first phone i had was 2.2 but when i used ROM manager to back up my current rom,my phone just froze so i rebooted and it just locks up on the LG screen and has been doing so ever since (tried to factory reset,doesnt work).so i ended up getting another optimus but this one came with 2.2.1.and ive been trying to downgrade ever since with no luck.if you know any way to make my computer recognize my phone without my phone being visable so i can possibly recover my crashed phone,that would be AWESOME! thanks again for your reply and hopefully when you get your phone you can continue with all the help! your the man!

Upvote 0
Two words. User Error. In all cases. If need be I'll make vids of me upgrading and downgrading my own phone using either method I posted. That should end any debates on whether these methods are a result of my instructions and files or "user error".

I guarantee that it will prove the latter.

Here would be another good way to prove this. Show of hands here fellow citzens. How many of you here have successfully used either the LGNPST or other method?

The driver you supplied with your downgrade wasnt recognizing my optimus, so I installed the drivers via the lgmobile support tool. Could this possibly be an issue for the black screen?

Upvote 0
Two words. User Error. In all cases. If need be I'll make vids of me upgrading and downgrading my own phone using either method I posted. That should end any debates on whether these methods are a result of my instructions and files or "user error".

I guarantee that it will prove the latter.

Here would be another good way to prove this. Show of hands here fellow citzens. How many of you here have successfully used either the LGNPST or other method?
I have used LGNPST at least 20 times, and it worked every time. I can guarantee that there is no error in your instructions or in the files that you provided.

There is a possibility that this method works on some phones and not others. Maybe LG changed the hardware in some way that makes it incompatible with the older firmware.

Upvote 0
There is a possibility that this method works on some phones and not others. Maybe LG changed the hardware in some way that makes it incompatible with the older firmware.

That seems to be the problem as only people whose phones already came with 2.2.1 seem to have this problem. Nintendo did it with the Wii why not LG with a phone. It is not a problem with the method only the phones.

Upvote 0
That seems to be the problem as only people whose phones already came with 2.2.1 seem to have this problem. Nintendo did it with the Wii why not LG with a phone. It is not a problem with the method only the phones.

I have used LGNPST at least 20 times, and it worked every time. I can guarantee that there is no error in your instructions or in the files that you provided.

i completely agree with the both of you.im gonna try to find someone brave enough to let me test that theory.but for now,ive done this 5 times now and after doing the video exactly the same,i can assure you,FOR ME ATLEAST,that its def not a user error..the method seems to work perfect aside from the black screen.so props to you and your hard work.maybe your 1-up lg and crack the INFAMOUS BLACK SCREEN FAIL! lol

Upvote 0
Ed might be onto something here.

Look at this link: http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/ezlooks_model_list.jsp?model=LGMS690

You'll see it has 3 entries:

3 LGMS690 AMTKCG1 MTK/METRO PCS(USA) CDMA LGMS690 AMTPCG MTP/MetroPCS CDMA LGMS690 AMTPCGM MTP/MetroPCS CDMA

At the time that I came up with the "Who wants to downgrade" method, there were only 2 entries on that page. AMTPCG and AMTPCGM.

What they mean I have no idea. I just know that I got the .CAB file used in that process from this link: http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGMS690/AMTPCG/MS690ZV3_36/MS690ZV3_36.S3_36.P3014.cab

See how it points to AMTPCG? Changing it to AMTPCGM will get you nothing.

Now the new entry, AMTKCG1 is a mystery. I couldn't come up with any kind of download using that in the URL path. This may very well be new hardware that will only accept 2.2.1 or higher.

Also notice the MTP in the other 2 entries? The second folder inside the Model folder for LGNPST is named MTP. I assume if you had the proper files for whatever has changed, this folder would be called MTK in LGNPST.

I advise anyone that has purchased a phone with 2.2.1 already installed to avoid using either method from here on out. Only if you're certain you purchased one with 2.2 originally on it should you be downgrading or restoring with the files in either thread.

Upvote 0
edodonell has a version of 2.2.1 that is rooted is it possible to some how trick the program into using that file to update/repair? For phones that already came pre-installed with 2.2.1. On the ps3 you are able to send file to the hard drive using a proxy server would it possible to do the same with this? Just some how make the program think its using the correct file. Probably not but it was a thought.

Upvote 0
edodonell has a version of 2.2.1 that is rooted is it possible to some how trick the program into using that file to update/repair? For phones that already came pre-installed with 2.2.1. On the ps3 you are able to send file to the hard drive using a proxy server would it possible to do the same with this? Just some how make the program think its using the correct file. Probably not but it was a thought.
If you use LGNPST, then you choose the file that it uses, and there is no need to trick the program.

If the hardware has changed, then my 2.2.1 bin file probably won't work. Try using this file with LGNPST:
MS690ZV4_26.BIN.zip

This is just a stock unmodified 2.2.1 bin file. I want to get this update process working before we complicate things by trying to add root. Let me know if it works and I will post another file that can be rooted. If it doesn't work, then I think I know something else we can try.

Reactions: joneidy
Upvote 0
If you use LGNPST, then you choose the file that it uses, and there is no need to trick the program.

If the hardware has changed, then my 2.2.1 bin file probably won't work. Try using this file with LGNPST:
MS690ZV4_26.BIN.zip

This is just a stock unmodified 2.2.1 bin file. I want to get this update process working before we complicate things by trying to add root. Let me know if it works and I will post another file that can be rooted. If it doesn't work, then I think I know something else we can try.
I`m actually flashing it to my phone. Any outcome will be post immediately.
And my phone came with stock 2.2.1

Upvote 0

MS690ZV4_26.BIN.zip

Wow that was awesome, the file you upload successfully flashed in my phone.
Repeat Successful Flashed on Phone with 2.2.1 from stock.

Maybe we can root very soon :)

Thanks edodonnell

Upvote 0
Just to add here. If anyone is going to use this BIN file Ed has put up, please make sure to follow my instructions and under "Provision" in LGNPST make sure you always have "Upgrade" selected for flashing just as you would if you were using a TOT file.

I have a BIN file like the one Ed has posted but for 2.2 ZV3. Wonder if using that over the TOT file will make a difference for anyone.

Upvote 0
Just to add here. If anyone is going to use this BIN file Ed has put up, please make sure to follow my instructions and under "Provision" in LGNPST make sure you always have "Upgrade" selected for flashing just as you would if you were using a TOT file.

I have a BIN file like the one Ed has posted but for 2.2 ZV3. Wonder if using that over the TOT file will make a difference for anyone.

Well who knows maybe it could work, but if you want you can upload it and post the instructions and I will be glad to tested it out. Because my phone came with 2.2.1 from stock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones