• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root droid 3 - unrecognized by computer? or...

Hey, obviously new here (at least to posting on these forums) so sorry if this is in the wrong section, etc.
I'm trying to root my droid 3 using the one click root method to no avail, but when I plug in my phone to the computer it does -not- pop up on the phone screen with the option of charge only etc. The computer shows pop ups in the lower right hand corner that acts like its connecting the device but then the pop up says device not recognized. I have the correct drivers installed (at least, the drivers supplied in the instructions.
Thanks in advance for any advice, I sure would appreciate it!

Me and my brother had the same problems with this attempting to root our droid 3s. Somehow he managed to get his rooted while he was out of town, but I've yet to get him to remember how he did ut.

Hello nymusdcxv, and welcome to the forums.

It sounds like you do not have USB debugging enabled in application manager/development (menu > settings > applications > development). There is a checkbox and it doesn't hurt to just leave it checked whether you're transferring files, sideloading or not.

If you do have the current drivers installed in your computer, a few seconds after attaching the USB cable you'll see a prompt on the screen.

Upvote 0
Hey, obviously new here (at least to posting on these forums) so sorry if this is in the wrong section, etc.
I'm trying to root my droid 3 using the one click root method to no avail, but when I plug in my phone to the computer it does -not- pop up on the phone screen with the option of charge only etc. The computer shows pop ups in the lower right hand corner that acts like its connecting the device but then the pop up says device not recognized. I have the correct drivers installed (at least, the drivers supplied in the instructions.
Thanks in advance for any advice, I sure would appreciate it!

Me and my brother had the same problems with this attempting to root our droid 3s. Somehow he managed to get his rooted while he was out of town, but I've yet to get him to remember how he did ut.

I had this problem as well. I would connect and it would charge but not show up. My problem was I wasn't using a "Mototola" USB cord. I had the Droid X and the Droid X2 and I was using my LG Dare USB at work for those two which worked fine. But when I connected my Droid 3 it wouldn't work. Make sure you are using a Motorola USB. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
^^^ This is definitely an issue. I have an older cable with me for charging my phone at school and my D3 will not enable USB modes, but it will charge. Despite this, my friend's R2-"D2" recognizes this same cable for all USB modes. So it's something specific to the phone.

Something with the D3 needs the Motorola cable. It just wont work with "other" brands. I do not know why. Lame though. I brought my Moto cable to work being as that is where I will need to access my phone most. At home I am playing CoD MW3 and don't have time to mess with my phone haha. So I'll have the LG cord there just to charge it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones