• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid-Loose headphone Jack

dvmweb1984

Aug 15, 2010
I know that this is a common problem from searching this forum. I posted this elsewhere, and, I am putting my note here to help others:
OK.
I figured out my problem with the headphone jack on my Droid. I bought mine last November. I have a set of Bose ear buds with gold plated contacts on the plug. These work fine with my iPod, pocket radio, CD player, etc.

However they would crackle and the channels, either L or R would drop out on my Droid. I use Pandora a lot for instance. It is not a software problem, obviously.

I have a special scope that I can see down into small openings. I had read about using dental picks, etc., to bend the contacts so they would make a better connection. I didn't have to do that.

I could see that the contacts in the headphone socket were corroded and dirty. I took a Q tip, and after removing some of the cotton so it would fit, soaked it in rubbing alcohol and cleaned out the headphone jack. The contacts are nice and shiny and now the headphones work just fine!!! If I wiggle the plug hard it will loose contact a little bit. This improved the quality of the sound nearly to perfect.

I have been helped with problems on this board. I hope this helps someone too. :):)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones