• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jerseystepup

Nov 16, 2010
Im currently do for an upgrade with VZW and am looking to move to a droid from an outdated BB Curve..

Im itching to get a new phone and have had my eye on the Droid X. What im curious about is, i realize this phone has been out for a while. Will it be outdated and old news by feb or march? I really am excited on getting a new phone, but at the same time there's nothing wrong with my blackberry, so if waiting is the smart thing, id be able to do so. I just don't want to have a phone thats 2 months old, with 22 months on my contract to go, while everyone around me is getting newer and better phones..

Also another question.. Ive been reading around alot on a couple forums. My only smartphone experience is with blackberrys.. I was looking at the Droid X, Droid 2, and Incredible.. Any blackberry converts have advice on which phone may be easier to get used to? Are they that difft that it doesnt matter? Im not very tech savy, so alot of the stuff i read i dont even really understand.

thanks so much for the help!

Yes, it will be outdated and old news by Feb. or March.

If you wait and buy a phone in Feb. or March, it will outdated and old news by July or August.

It's just the way the cycle works.

If I were buying a phone now, I'd hold off until Christmas. There will either be a new phone release, or prices will drop for the holidays.

Upvote 0
Blackberry does a lot of things "right", especially e-mail, that I have seen Blackberry users miss a lot. I've never had a Blackberry so I honestly can't say.

I got my DX on launch day and I'm still extremely happy with it.

The extended battery can go for forever without me worrying in the least bit about it dying. I leave the house for a night out and if it's at 40 or 50, I know I don't even have to think twice about it not lasting...cause it will. I love the large screen and thin size. The picture quality is great. Call quality, etc....awesome!

But that's what I like. That's why this phone is right for me. I enjoy all of those things and love the feel and design of the X. I'd suggest going to your local store and playing around with all of the phones that are there. Also look at the phones that will be released soon and see if there's something that fits you better that may be worth the wait.

It's all about what works for each person. Try out a few display phones and see what you think! But if you do choose the X, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Welcome to the forums :)

Upvote 0
I came from a BB Storm, and I have to say that I don't miss a thing with it. Androids do a great job with gmail, especially since it is push now. I only used gmail with the BB Storm so corporate email wasn't a problem. As far as everything else, the Droid X is far superior. The market has tons of apps (BB Apps were terrible), and the phone is lightning fast. I have had this phone for 5 months and the "newness" hasn't worn off yet. The screen is large and is great for movies/games.

My wife has the Droid 2 and she loves it as well. It has the slide out keyboard which is nice, but the screen seem tiny to me now that I am used to the 4.3" screen on the Droid X

Upvote 0
For the sharply discounted price on the DX now I think it's a crazy good value. There isn't a day that goes by that I'm not grateful I chose this device and even with the release of new phones with new bells and whistles I'm confident I'll find this more than satisfactory for the next 12-24 months. It's an awesome device.

Upvote 0
switch to a one year contract(only phone price changes, not contract) and get an X it will definitely last a year. Smart phones are not worth getting for 2 years as Verizon tends to abandon them to a glitchy slow death. Android does everything a blackberry does so you don't lose any features switching over. The email on Blackberry is nice but Android really stepped it up recently. It works flawlessly with google mail and there are now apps for most other email clients so you probably won't run into many problems. My only warning about the X is its size. It works for me but a lot of people coming from smaller phones like the curve find it too big and would prefer the physical keyboard and size of a Droid 2 Global or Droid pro. Whatever you choose, good luck!

Upvote 0
switch to a one year contract(only phone price changes, not contract) and get an X it will definitely last a year. Smart phones are not worth getting for 2 years as Verizon tends to abandon them to a glitchy slow death. Android does everything a blackberry does so you don't lose any features switching over. The email on Blackberry is nice but Android really stepped it up recently. It works flawlessly with google mail and there are now apps for most other email clients so you probably won't run into many problems. My only warning about the X is its size. It works for me but a lot of people coming from smaller phones like the curve find it too big and would prefer the physical keyboard and size of a Droid 2 Global or Droid pro. Whatever you choose, good luck!

imho, it's kinda silly to sign a one year contract, unless you're an add-a-line on someone else's plan, or only on a 450 talk. any other plan, and you can upgrade at one year anyway. seems kinda silly to pay that extra money, and forgo any NE2 credits just to be able to get a new phone at 10 months instead of 12.

the only reason i would say one should not go with android over BB, is if they use outlook for calendar/contacts (not on exchange) and want it it just work without having to sync with gmail. that is something the BB does natively that the X does not. same with lotus notes/domino servers. BB syncs automatically, and android does not.

other than that, android has made some amazing strides in catching up to BB as far as email goes.

Upvote 0
:rolleyes: Tell me about if. If some smart guy at Google made the Android equivalent of the Blackberry BES server, Android would have a shot at owning the business market. That's the biggest thing that BB has now over Android is enterprise integration.

yep. if there were AES (android enterprise servers), android would take a pretty big leap toward stomping out BB.

Upvote 0
yep. if there were AES (android enterprise servers), android would take a pretty big leap toward stomping out BB.

Wanna scrape together some venture capital with me and make one? My IT department just sent me a nasty email for forwarding emails to a service that actually syncs with, you know, every other kind of phone so I'm back to checking webmail on my Droid X.

:rant:

Upvote 0
Our company just moved to a product called "Good For Enterprise" which is like BES (it encrypts the data on the device, password restricted access to corporate data on the device, etc.) but it supports various mobile devices... iphone, android, WinMo, (windows phone is in the works). So this type of solution is already out there. It's a decent product.

The current WinMo client is not good but the android and iphone clients are pretty decent. They don't support html email but outside of that I have no complaints.

I'm guessing Microsoft will enhance exchange in a year or so with similar functionality... I can't believe they don't already have this.

Upvote 0
I came from a BB Storm, and I have to say that I don't miss a thing with it. Androids do a great job with gmail, especially since it is push now. I only used gmail with the BB Storm so corporate email wasn't a problem. As far as everything else, the Droid X is far superior. The market has tons of apps (BB Apps were terrible), and the phone is lightning fast. I have had this phone for 5 months and the "newness" hasn't worn off yet. The screen is large and is great for movies/games.

My wife has the Droid 2 and she loves it as well. It has the slide out keyboard which is nice, but the screen seem tiny to me now that I am used to the 4.3" screen on the Droid X

Came from a storm myself and this is how I feel. I turned the storm on the other day and it was so crappy and slow I couldn't believe I dealt with that junk for 2 years.

Upvote 0
I came from a BB 9650 (actually i still use it when i travel out of the country) As one reader above said BB does actually do some things that i really really miss. FACEBOOK NOTIFICATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However I bought my Dx on launch day as well and i'm still happy with it and have no regrets. If i were you i would have waited till after January to see what comes out at CES 2011.

Upvote 0
Came from a BB Storm. For me e-mail is exactly the same. Same with Texts and such. I feel the Facebook app works better(now). This Facebook app does not come up on "News" like the BB app did and I like that sooooooooooooo much better. Got sick and tired of seeing what everyone found on Farmville (gag me with a friggen spoon!!)
Sending pictures is about the same as is sending them to Photobucket.
Everything is much faster, especially browsing the internet.

I think I still like the layout of the Storm better(simpler) but I guess it's nice to have a new background like you can get on these(although no big deal to me). I could care less that everyone can see all the apps I have on my home screen. Some people just need such ;)
Actual phone calls and signal and all that is about the same.

Upvote 0
I think I still like the layout of the Storm better(simpler) but I guess it's nice to have a new background like you can get on these(although no big deal to me). I could care less that everyone can see all the apps I have on my home screen. Some people just need such ;)
Actual phone calls and signal and all that is about the same.
That's the beauty of Android, you can can a simple or complex setup.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones