• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X vs Samsung Galaxy S

Yeah it would be kind of nice if they announced when it is actually going to be out i would def consider trying it out and seeing how it feels but if its cheap feeling like the majority of samsung phones i would go with the x. They should have announced this and the x at the same time so people could decide on one or the other. Hopefully it will be within the 30 day period so if it is pretty nice and has an unsigned bootloader i may return the x for it

Upvote 0
Yeah it would be kind of nice if they announced when it is actually going to be out i would def consider trying it out and seeing how it feels but if its cheap feeling like the majority of samsung phones i would go with the x. They should have announced this and the x at the same time so people could decide on one or the other. Hopefully it will be within the 30 day period so if it is pretty nice and has an unsigned bootloader i may return the x for it

The only things I like about the Fascinate are the Super AMOLED screen and that the bootloader is unsigned. I would much rather have the bigger screen on the X though, maybe if I liked the look of the Fascinate than this would be a different story, and I hate the looks of touchwiz so far.

Upvote 0
The only things I like about the Fascinate are the Super AMOLED screen and that the bootloader is unsigned. I would much rather have the bigger screen on the X though, maybe if I liked the look of the Fascinate than this would be a different story, and I hate the looks of touchwiz so far.
That's the beauty of an unsigned bootloader I believe though, you can run custom roms or have a stock android rom installed getting rid of the touchwiz(I think they said it wasn't touchwiz but whatever :p) look.

Upvote 0
Well, it really seems like Samsung is coming out swinging with this one. I took a look at youtube at examples of 720p video clips from both the motorola droid and the samsung galaxy S, and the galaxy records video that is MUCH CLEARER and MUCH SHARPER, than the motorola droid. With that said, here is how I would compare them from what I have read:

WHAT THEY HAVE IN COMMON
1) LED flash
2) 720p recording
3) 45nm processors
4) DLNA
5) support for divx
6) A skin over stock android UI

WHERE MOTOROLA DROID X WINS
1) Beat out the galaxy S in Android Central's benchmarks:YouTube - Droid X benchmark tests!
2) Larger screen by 0.3"
3) Greater screen resolution of 848

Upvote 0
The bigger screen is probably a burden, considering most people are happy with 3.7" and 4" provides a nice display and still almost one hand usable.

Quite the contrary. A larger screen makes the phone much more enjoyable to use, and easier to type on.

The LCD on the X has text jaggies, which makes it look worse with text than the Inc, so Sammy will be better too.

According to who? A 4.3" LCD at 854

Upvote 0

I can vouch that this phone is in no way cheap feeling, in fact it feels really solid and well made and I cannot believe how amazing the SuperAmoled screen is. I would consider waiting for this phone to come out, but I'm pretty set on the X. Who knows though, I was dead set on the Incredible when it came out, but I'm already moving on to the X. What can I say? I always need to have the biggest and best when it comes to phones.

I am really excited for the 15th though!

Upvote 0
I think the Galaxy S hardware is great, love the gpu, the gyroscope etc. I think I would prefer the Super AMOLED over the LCD as well. The difference here is I dislike the look of touchwiz with the addition of bing (for Verizon's fascinate) and I would see modding this phone as a must and changing the ROM, whereas on the Droid X I may not be able to flash the ROM but I would not desire to.

In short, if you know your going to flash your rom soon and often, I would get the Samsung. If you enjoy the Droid X interface and have no desire to flash the rom (until possibly a long time from now or never) get the Droid X.

Upvote 0
check this video out comparing the galaxy s and the droid x. granted this isnt the Fascinate, but the x looks like the clear winner here.

"Clear winner"? Hmm. I don't see what you see at all here. I love the X, and still may get the X. But if anything, they look about the same overall in responsiveness, etc. The Samsung has some distinct advantages, but so does the X (many of each not shown or mentioned in the video). Choices, choices ..

Upvote 0
My take ...

Well, it really seems like Samsung is coming out swinging with this one. I took a look at youtube at examples of 720p video clips from both the motorola droid and the samsung galaxy S, and the galaxy records video that is MUCH CLEARER and MUCH SHARPER, than the motorola droid. With that said, here is how I would compare them from what I have read:

WHAT THEY HAVE IN COMMON
1) LED flash
2) 720p recording
3) 45nm processors
4) DLNA
5) support for divx
6) A skin over stock android UI

WHERE MOTOROLA DROID X WINS
1) Beat out the galaxy S in Android Central's benchmarks:...
Your video referenced doesn't have the Samsung in it. GPU benchmarks have favored the Samsung actually.
2) Larger screen by 0.3"
3) Greater screen resolution of 848

Upvote 0
^
For point #1, The Samsung is on the Quadrant benchmark test graph already. I think thats why he mentioned it. I have seen where just gpu benchmarks the Galaxy S was on top, but for the overall benchmark of Quadrant the X was on top.

Is it cuz of Touchwiz, something "magical" with the OMAP, something "less than magical" with the Hummingbird, I dont know...lol

check this video out comparing the galaxy s and the droid x. granted this isnt the Fascinate, but the x looks like the clear winner here.

"Clear winner"? Hmm. I don't see what you see at all here. I love the X, and still may get the X. But if anything, they look about the same overall in responsiveness, etc. The Samsung has some distinct advantages, but so does the X (many of each not shown or mentioned in the video). Choices, choices ..

The X did load Google Maps and the Youtube app and clip faster. Look at the first app tested, Google Maps. The X was ready with a satellite lock while the Galaxy S was still loading it.

After opening up the task manager, going back to the home screen was faster on the X. (I did see how the home screen was already loaded on the X vs. the Galaxy S still being in the app drawer tho.)
The home screen scrolling looked quicker on the X. (And I dont put alot of stock in stock home screen scrolling. Launcher Pro and ADW changed my mind on that.)

Browser test was back n forth, real close. The pics.....they looked more vibrant on the Samsung but more sharper, had more detail on the X. U could see the shadows on the street sign on the X, the words on the sign were sharper too. Is that cuz of the screen or the camera? I dont know.

Just looking at the Google Maps and Youtube loading, I see why he said clear winner.

Upvote 0
^

The X did load Google Maps and the Youtube app and clip faster. Look at the first app tested, Google Maps. The X was ready with a satellite lock while the Galaxy S was still loading it.

After opening up the task manager, going back to the home screen was faster on the X. (I did see how the home screen was already loaded on the X vs. the Galaxy S still being in the app drawer tho.)
The home screen scrolling looked quicker on the X. (And I dont put alot of stock in stock home screen scrolling. Launcher Pro and ADW changed my mind on that.)

Browser test was back n forth, real close. The pics.....they looked more vibrant on the Samsung but more sharper, had more detail on the X. U could see the shadows on the street sign on the X, the words on the sign were sharper too. Is that cuz of the screen or the camera? I dont know.

I see why he said clear winner.

These are very very minor wins (fraction of a second mostly except for the GPS lock). I still would not call this "clear winner". It's definitely NOT clear to me from what I can see which is the better overall phone. I do want more reviews on the Samsungs though, and some real hands-on time so we can actually know more. They are both great phones it seems.

Upvote 0
I will stick with the X, a couple reasons why. First I think the Samsung phone is a uglyier version on the iphone, I really just don't like the looks. As far as I am concerned the specs are about the same. I like the X in looks and it has a bigger screen, which I really want.

EXACTLY! its an iPhone copy, Im trying to get AWAY from the iPhone, not buy a phone trying to look and act like one..

However I might bite if Verizon had gotten the Epic 4g, that version is a bit different and has a nice kb.

Upvote 0
Yea. These are very minor. I think the icons on the samsung look nicer and (have not seen in person) suspect the screen is more 'wowing' even if the droid is brighter (not sure bout this; as pc world article skiped the galaxy s).
We know the galaxy s has faster gpu and driod x faster cpu (not sure how much faster in either area; though the droid gpu is faster than htc offerings).
-
We know the samsung has a few glitches with gps and switching home screens (weird delays).
-
What we don't know is how reception and call quality compare (esp in a noisy environment). My guess is the samsung is flashier but otherwise they are relatively comparable.

These are very very minor wins (fraction of a second mostly except for the GPS lock). I still would not call this "clear winner". It's definitely NOT clear to me from what I can see which is the better overall phone. I do want more reviews on the Samsungs though, and some real hands-on time so we can actually know more. They are both great phones it seems.

Upvote 0
To be honest, my biggest concern is reception. I work in the hospital which often has many pockets of no reception. When I was on AT&T, I just wouldn't get reception. I switched over to a moto droid 2 weeks ago and I have reception in many more places inside the hospital. Despite the advantages of the Samsung being rootable, more hackable, having a better more vibrant screen, if the reception isn't comparable then I need to go with the Droid X with its diversity antennas.

Upvote 0
To be honest, my biggest concern is reception. I work in the hospital which often has many pockets of no reception. When I was on AT&T, I just wouldn't get reception. I switched over to a moto droid 2 weeks ago and I have reception in many more places inside the hospital. Despite the advantages of the Samsung being rootable, more hackable, having a better more vibrant screen, if the reception isn't comparable then I need to go with the Droid X with its diversity antennas.

You should go with the X then if that is the deciding factor between the 2 IMO. We don't have any reports I know of about Samsung reception on the Fascinate, but I would speculate that is will not be better than the Droid X. Motorola has generally fantastic RF in their phones (I have the Droid now, and its reception is great), and I would expect that the best Samsung could do would be to match it, but I doubt that will be the case. I would bet anything the Droid X will have better reception

Upvote 0

YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S Vs Motorola Droid X Part 2

Ok I can go with minor. But the GPS lock and the Youtube app and clip loading were beyond a fraction of a second. Especially Google Maps being a big app, that was a huge win.

U could see the shadows on the street sign on the X. That means u can see everything thats supposed to be there on the X. The words on the street sign were sharper on the X. It aint like the X was showing the colors as black and white so the colors on the X was fine.

Either the cpu is faster on the X based on the Google Maps and Youtube clip loading, or TouchWiz is slowing things down.

All those things might be considered non-minor. Maybe not clear winner, just winner. And we just talking about based on this video. No one wont know really until we get more reviews on the Samsung phones.

Upvote 0
I know there have been a few people that have been questioning whether or not to wait for the Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate if it offered anything more than the Droid X. I found some videos of a comparison between the two. I thought it was a very good comparison of what we can expect the defference to be. Unfortunately, the tester doesn't do any game test, but he does do basic performance test and application test.

Samsung Galaxy S Vs Motorola Droid X Part 1
YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S Vs Motorola Droid X Part 1

Samsung Galaxy S Vs Motorola Droid X Part 2
YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S Vs Motorola Droid X Part 2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones