• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DroidX battery

Like Jroc & others have mentioned...
The EVO has a 65nM processor...the resistors are larger per say requiring more pull on the battery.

The Droid X processor is 45nM. Resistors are smaller....less demand on battery to operate & feed the processor. 45nM also produces less heat than the snapdragon 65nM chips.
Now combine that with the Droid X's Battery saving/managing modes....
And the EVO simply can NOT compete.
Do the research.
BTW Texas Instruments...the company that developed the chip for the Droid X states they are developing a dual core chip also to be 45nM; engineering & development will be done at the end of Q4 2010,
Expect to start seeing devices using them Q1 & Q2 of 2011.
T.I. Is going to continue to revolutionize the processors that go in our smartphones.
...they did with the Moto Droid and once again with the Droid X.

Commend the better & more efficient processor

"Power save mode" is nothing more then one click on the X and a few clicks on my evo. The 45nm chip should draw less power then the 65nm but not the magical amounts some think it will. I wouldnt be shocked if the X got more then a hour but less then two hours more battery life then the evo.

Upvote 0
Do you people understand that when the evo was reviewed it got bad battery life because most reviewers kept the 4g radio on? That thing is a beast! I keep 3g, wifi, and gps on all day on my evo and i get well past 12hrs a charge.

So... would the 4G not really be a great feature if it drains the EVO so much of its battery? A cellphone is much better off having longer battery than 4G at this point in technology. Even Verizon stated that its LTE network will drain a lot of battery, but are working on it so that it doesn't take as much. Hopefully there will be even progression so that when it is quite relevant, the problem isn't as noticeable.

Upvote 0
"Power save mode" is nothing more then one click on the X and a few clicks on my evo. The 45nm chip should draw less power then the 65nm but not the magical amounts some think it will. I wouldnt be shocked if the X got more then a hour but less then two hours more battery life then the evo.

The 45nM chip definitely draws less power than the 65nM chips. Not truckloads less....
But still requires requests less drain.
Temp wise the 3630 will not get as hot as the snapDragon.
I will know for sure, I had an HtC...
Will start putting the X thru its paces on the 15th.
Smart Mode is going to help more than a normal power save mode.
Another thing some people might not know is that maintaining a constant wifi signal, when u are in a setting such as home or office etc where wifi is avail. & setting WIFI to never sleep will actually improve battery life.
(there was a settings menu on Dinc & Moto Droid which allows this.

that 3G can be a battery killer.
3G Reception strength in my area is fantastic...at least w/ the Motorola Droid.
Wish I could say the same for htc devices. :(

Upvote 0
^Thats something I didnt realize about Wifi vs. 3G until recently...learn something new every day huh...lol

2 hours falls in line with the talk time tests done by a few reviewers...one which I posted in here already....

45nm chip and this:

Smartphone Comparison Chart Compares Extensive Smartphone Specs

LPDDR2 often uses 50% less power than LPDDR1
Only the X and the Galaxy S are using that right now, everyone else LPDDR1. (its at the bottom under Processors Specs when u click and enlarge the phone table)

Thats 2 hardware differences the X has that the EVO doesnt for saving battery life.

The EVO is a good phone. If you happy with it, thats good. It has 4G and a Front camera. Both companies made a phone where they tried to make the customer happy. If the EVO does have less battery life, it doesnt means its not a good phone.

Just means a couple of phones will have better battery life, a better cpu/gpu and better memory, thats all. :)

Upvote 0
lol Yea thats the wild thing.... There has to be more to these gpu's than the triangles per second. Even with the Droid vs. the Inc its accepted that the Droid has a better gpu.

U ask a lot of good questions....lol Another one that I cant answer...:D

I have no idea about (g) vs. (n) for better battery life. From what lil I'm reading it may or may not.

Upvote 0
Of course the Droid X battery life won't be ground breaking. It still uses the same batteries as the other smart phones.

Now I don't have an Evo or a Droid X (yet), but the Droid X has hardware specifically using less power (LP-DDR2 and 45nm processor). It just makes sense that the battery life will be noticeably better than most smartphones out now.

Upvote 0
Another thing some people might not know is that maintaining a constant wifi signal, when u are in a setting such as home or office etc where wifi is avail. & setting WIFI to never sleep will actually improve battery life.
(there was a settings menu on Dinc & Moto Droid which allows this.

I've seen that in a power use tips once. Certainly counter-intuitive. Any idea why it's like that?

Upvote 0
wifi uses less power to transmit than 3G because it is less distance. I disagree that wifi never sleeps though.

I had a 1750 Seidio battery on my Incredible and could get to days use. My Samsung Saga has an 1800 and it goes a few days. I don't even think about taking a charger with me most places. It's all about setting up the phone right too. You have to be a battery Nazi.

Upvote 0
I assume you mean that you've seen this setting on the Droid X itself?

I had my Incredible set up that way and it was working great to have wifi always on when I was in an area with wifi available. Definitely saved battery for me.

It is a menu I have found on every device running 2.1.

Here's How to to save some extra battery while on wifi...
Enable wifi and disable mobile network.
wifi will power down after 15 minutes of inactivity & jump back to 3G UNLESS...
You change it's power setttings.

From the home screen go to:
*menu
*settings
*Wireless & networks
*Wi-Fi settings
*menu
*Advanced
*Wi-Fi sleep policy
*Select Never
Now connect to your Wi-Fi network.

I will be doing this on the Droid X as well.

Upvote 0
It is a menu I have found on every device running 2.1.

Here's How to to save some extra battery while on wifi...
Enable wifi and disable mobile network.
wifi will power down after 15 minutes of inactivity & jump back to 3G UNLESS...
You change it's power setttings.

From the home screen go to:
*menu
*settings
*Wireless & networks
*Wi-Fi settings
*menu
*Advanced
*Wi-Fi sleep policy
*Select Never
Now connect to your Wi-Fi network.

I will be doing this on the Droid X as well.

I use juice defender, which shuts down data and wifi when your screen turns off...along with other different settings that all increase battery life.

Upvote 0
I use juice defender, which shuts down data and wifi when your screen turns off...along with other different settings that all increase battery life.
I hope it is definitely on the X. You never know sometimes decisions companies make. Once I see the option myself, I'll be happy.

I find that wifi always on and connected isn't much of a drain on battery life. 3G is the big drain for me (especially in low signal areas), so with wifi on and 3G off, it's fine. To me, I'd find it an annoyance to have to have wifi reconnect every time the screen went off. The savings isn't nearly worth it for me.

Upvote 0

lol :) Strange, every reviewer has said excellent battery life!!

I guess excellent battery life is a matter of opinion, for me having to disable bluetooth, gps, wifi, dim the screen to the lowest setting and having the screen timeout set to 5seconds and having advance task killer aggressively auto killing apps open screen saver.... and only getting 12hrs of battery life is with very minimal usage is not "excellent" in my eyes.

Upvote 0
I guess excellent battery life is a matter of opinion, for me having to disable bluetooth, gps, wifi, dim the screen to the lowest setting and having the screen timeout set to 5seconds and having advance task killer aggressively auto killing apps open screen saver.... and only getting 12hrs of battery life is with very minimal usage is not "excellent" in my eyes.

Well show us a screen shot of the battery usage or post what the usage is, we might can troubleshoot and help u, even tho most of us dont have the X yet...lol.

Cuz there was a guy in these forums that had the X for about a week. He did some battery tests where the screen was on the entire time, doing alot of things and the battery lasted about 6-7 hours. Check it out:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...ands-such-such-date-thread-4.html#post1038344

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...ands-such-such-date-thread-5.html#post1044328

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...ands-such-such-date-thread-6.html#post1047051

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...ands-such-such-date-thread-8.html#post1053447

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...ands-such-such-date-thread-8.html#post1056070

Then the guy from phonearena.com did a talk time test and the phone lasted 9 hours. Dont know if the screen was on or off, but he called a number and let it stay connected til the battery died. Maybe u have a bad battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones