• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Dual USB port charging from PC

kyler13

Android Expert
Nov 17, 2009
Annapolis, MD
Was wondering if anyone has attempted to use a dual USB male to single female adapter to charge their phone. These cables are designed to do data from a single USB port but draw power from both ports to combine two 500mA sources and provide a total of 1A power. Theoretically you could get a faster charge from your PC, much like an AC adapter. I'm wondering if the 500mA trickle charge is auto-limited by communication with the PC, or if it would actually draw the full 1A in this config.

Here's an example of a cable for sale on Amazon:

Amazon.com: USB Power Adapter Y Cable: Electronics

Was wondering if anyone has attempted to use a dual USB male to single female adapter to charge their phone. These cables are designed to do data from a single USB port but draw power from both ports to combine two 500mA sources and provide a total of 1A power. Theoretically you could get a faster charge from your PC, much like an AC adapter. I'm wondering if the 500mA trickle charge is auto-limited by communication with the PC, or if it would actually draw the full 1A in this config.

Here's an example of a cable for sale on Amazon:

Amazon.com: USB Power Adapter Y Cable: Electronics

I've used something similar to power laptop HDs that required more than 500mAh spin up current and it worked.

I have NOT used this cable - but would feel 75% confident in thinking that the it should really do what you're looking for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones