• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dump EVO for Thunderbolt?

darynm

May 29, 2010
I am in a position where I can leave Sprint after a bad customer service stint that even left the retention department in shame. So, they let me out of the contract. Been a customer for 12 years. IS now the time for change???

I love my EVO. I am on my third one because of a known charger port issue that HTC and Sprint are aware of that causes the port to separate from the mother board. I hope issues like these are resolved with other HTC phones. Why did HTC put the charger port on the side of the TB?

I have been waiting to see if moving to Thunderbolt is the right move to make. Dual processor phones sound very interesting and I am intrigued, but nothing out yet that appeals to me. I know that the TB will have an upgraded 1 ghz processor and test show a significant improvement over the EVO processor.

4G LTE on the Thunderbolt is amazing bottom line. I had my EVO with me in a Verizon Store and it wasn't even a fair contest. LTE was blazing fast and had my EVO crying home for momma. Speedtest in Houston was Great!

I am well versed in the ways of battery drain issues phones like this have. The EVO has a 1500 mah battery and I was certainly suprised that the big brother to the EVO the Thunderbolt would have a smaller batter of 1400 mah. I wish they would have offered the hdmi out like the EVO. Rarely used it, but nice as it worked well.

I was curious if there are any other EVO consumers that made the switch. I have a Thunderbolt on hold and know I should probably just kick the tires for a few days to see if now is the right time to join Verizon or wait for more dual cores to come out. I have heard also of issues where the TB freezes up. Anyone know why?

I would appreciate peoples incite on this phone and is it really worth it??? I will be stuck with it for 2 years... Thanks for any input that can be provided...

I had an Evo until yesterday when I got the Thunderbolt. Although they are similar in general physical design, that's where it ends in my opinion. The Thunderbolt feels more solid, is faster, has better HTC Sense, the screen looks sharper, the 4G LTE blows WiMAX away, it does simultaneous vice and data over 3G, I could go on and on.

The way I look at it, the Evo was the first draft, this is the final product.

Upvote 0
I had an Evo until yesterday when I got the Thunderbolt. Although they are similar in general physical design, that's where it ends in my opinion. The Thunderbolt feels more solid, is faster, has better HTC Sense, the screen looks sharper, the 4G LTE blows WiMAX away, it does simultaneous vice and data over 3G, I could go on and on.

^^This. I returned my Evo after a 30 day trial so I can get the Thunderbolt.

Upvote 0
I am in a position where I can leave Sprint after a bad customer service stint that even left the retention department in shame. So, they let me out of the contract. Been a customer for 12 years. IS now the time for change???

I love my EVO. I am on my third one because of a known charger port issue that HTC and Sprint are aware of that causes the port to separate from the mother board. I hope issues like these are resolved with other HTC phones. Why did HTC put the charger port on the side of the TB?

I have been waiting to see if moving to Thunderbolt is the right move to make. Dual processor phones sound very interesting and I am intrigued, but nothing out yet that appeals to me. I know that the TB will have an upgraded 1 ghz processor and test show a significant improvement over the EVO processor.

4G LTE on the Thunderbolt is amazing bottom line. I had my EVO with me in a Verizon Store and it wasn't even a fair contest. LTE was blazing fast and had my EVO crying home for momma. Speedtest in Houston was Great!

I am well versed in the ways of battery drain issues phones like this have. The EVO has a 1500 mah battery and I was certainly suprised that the big brother to the EVO the Thunderbolt would have a smaller batter of 1400 mah. I wish they would have offered the hdmi out like the EVO. Rarely used it, but nice as it worked well.

I was curious if there are any other EVO consumers that made the switch. I have a Thunderbolt on hold and know I should probably just kick the tires for a few days to see if now is the right time to join Verizon or wait for more dual cores to come out. I have heard also of issues where the TB freezes up. Anyone know why?

I would appreciate peoples incite on this phone and is it really worth it??? I will be stuck with it for 2 years... Thanks for any input that can be provided...

Do It I was in the same boat as you the Thunderbolt is everything the EVO should have been but still has some EVO quirks. Verizon service is amazing and the LTE blows clearwire away.

Upvote 0
After much trepidation I got the phone. After playing with it for awhile I do have to admit that it's a very polished phone. Not night and day difference from the HTC EVO, but not apples to apples. This phone is zippier. Screen is nicer. And with out a doubt, the 4G LTE is very very fast, just not that great by my home in comparison to other areas around me. Same problem I had with 4g with my evo. LTE is faster with out a doubt. All in all if all goes well during my trial period with this phone I may be saying bye to Sprint after 12 years. Yikes, hard to stomach with all the perks I have with sprint...

Upvote 0
I love my EVO - got it on day 1 and have had nothing but a great experience with it. But my wife hated Android phones (got her the Epic 4G), and wanted to go back to iPhone. Finally with the release of the Verizon iPhone and now the LTE thunderbolt, I was willing to switch her over to Verizon and get the Thunderbolt for me.

Wow - the Thunderbolt is my EVO but just faster and better. If you love the EVO you will really love the Thunderbolt. Battery seems to be similar but since my EVO is rooted and battery conditioned it will be a week or so before I can compare, but the LTE speeds just kill the WIMAX speeds here in Los Angeles, and I was getting great speeds on Sprint (6-8 Mbs) - I have been seeing 8-15 Mbs on the Thunderbolt and constant coverage - truly worth the switch if you are in a good LTE city.

Upvote 0

This is literally the perfect way to describe the jump to the TB. And i LOOOOOOOVED my EVO. So ya, id say do it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones