• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Duplicate entries in Contacts

I did it all online. If you go into contacts under your gmail. Click on the boxes next to the duplicate entries so that you have more than 1 person selected then look to the right and there is a blue line that says merge these contacts. I had to do this after many of my phone numbers were separate from my email addresses.

Also I created a new group so that I didn't get every single person I ever emailed on my phone and just the people I email/call most often.

Upvote 0
Then I would suggest to long press and then choose delete. They might've gotten there if you did a backup of your phone number then reinstalled phone book.

Whatever the case may be I find it a lot easier if you are at a computer to fool around with your contacts rather than doing it on the phone itself.

Upvote 0
If they are correct online and im assuming there isnt anything on the phone that isnt in gmail contacts this is what i would do.

1. Log into gmail and export you contacts list (always good to have a backup)
2. Delete all contacts from the phone
3. Re-sync

If in fact the online contacts are correct then they should sync back with no duplicates. If they are still screwed up when you re-sync there is something wrong in the gmail side of things.

Upvote 0
You have probably solved this by now but since I have just had to resolve this problem myself, and in order to help anyone else with the same issue, here's what I did:

- Select 'Contact' by preference
- Press the Menu button
- Select 'Edit contact' from the options
- Wait for contact info to arrive then press Menu button again
- Select 'Separate' option
- Select 'Yes' option from dialogue box to confirm action

At this point, all duplicate entries will now appear in Contacts section.

- Select a duplicate entry
- Press Menu button
- Select 'Delete'

Do this for all duplicate entries.

In my case, this occurred when I had a replacement Android phone and had several back-up entries when data was transferred and also synced.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones